Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Which calendar app do you prefer? Seems like these 2 are the best in the field in iOS. I only have one device, iPhone. No iPads. So which would be recommended? All i want is a simple calendar/reminder apps that I can set/clear events fast.

Thanks!

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
For your needs, probably Fantastical... simple, no nonsense, nice interface

But I use both off and on

May I ask why use both if both does the same thing? :eek:

I am leaning towards Fantastical myself. Is it iOS8/iP6 optimized?

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
The interface and view is different, so sometimes I prefer a different look
But I also use Informant Pro as well :)

Wow, that is a lot of apps. I am coming over from Android but more importantly, I did not have a habit of using Calendar to keep track of appointments. Just starting now so something simple would be good which is why I think F2 fits my needs. Thanks for your input, MacDawg!

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
I've been using Fantastical for almost a year now. I couldn't stand the ios7 calendar when it came out so I looked for a replacement asap. I've never tried Calendar 5 so I can't compare but ever since I got F2 I haven't had a reason to look elsewhere. It's been worth every penny.

It's very easy to use, nice and simple with a great interface. It's also very easy to sync to google calendar, icloud calendar, or any calendar for that matter. I highly recommend it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Fantastical also has reminders integration, so you can also use it as a makeshift to-list list. Not sure of calendars does the same thing.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
I've used both Fantastical 2 and Calendar 5. The reason I've stuck with F2 is due to the Mac app that's available as well so it's a uniform experience using plain language to create appointments. I do wish F2 would release a Notifications widget for iOS 8 like Calendar 5 has now. That IMHO is the only thing missing that would give Calendar 5 an advantage.

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I've used both Fantastical 2 and Calendar 5. The reason I've stuck with F2 is due to the Mac app that's available as well so it's a uniform experience using plain language to create appointments. I do wish F2 would release a Notifications widget for iOS 8 like Calendar 5 has now. That IMHO is the only thing missing that would give Calendar 5 an advantage.

I do hope that comes in a future update/

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I really like the Sunrise calendar; especially since you can overlay all kinds of calendars to it (which you can't do with Fantastical), AND it shows the weather each day (morning, afternoon, evening).

Sunrise would probably knock Fantastical out of the running, if Sunrise built in support for iOS Reminders.

Tho, Sunrise DOES have Evernote Reminders support built in....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really like the Sunrise calendar; especially since you can overlay all kinds of calendars to it (which you can't do with Fantastical), AND it shows the weather each day (morning, afternoon, evening).

Sunrise would probably knock Fantastical out of the running, if Sunrise built in support for iOS Reminders.

Tho, Sunrise DOES have Evernote Reminders support built in....
I like Sunrise too, and it would be great if it added reminders support, and had a Today widget in the iOS 8 Notification Center. Hopefully all of that, or at least some of that, is coming (sooner than later).

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
I do use none of them now, though own each of them.
Fantastical 2 is really great in quick input of the events and tasks/reminders. Calendars 5 doesn't have natural language input of tasks, unlike events. Though, Calendars 5 is better at managing tasks both visually (better UI) and technically (ease of reordering, i.e.). Also, Calendars 5 has a great week view.
So, if you don't care about structure of your events/tasks and like quick entry of events/tasks - then I would recommend Fantastical 2.
If you like to have a full control over your tasks and events - go for Calendars 5.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use an app called Week Cal. It has many of the features of Calendar 5, but it can put the number of remaining appointments for the day as an indicator number on the app icon. I find that very handy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use an app called Week Cal. It has many of the features of Calendar 5, but it can put the number of remaining appointments for the day as an indicator number on the app icon. I find that very handy.
Any widget for that app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.