Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I have had Fantastical now for 2 weeks and on occasion, I'll have the watch and the phone both fail to notify me of a reminder or a calendar appointment.

I have tested the issue with both calendar and fantastical on and with each one off while the other was on.

I found that the native Calendar app always notified me every time, where Fantastical sometimes wouldn't at all.

Anyone else see similar issues? I am assuming that because native 3rd party apps aren't supported that this is just the nature of the beast for now.

Last edited:

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
Yeah I've never heard a reminder yet from fantastical with or without the apple watch.

Repelle

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Andover UK / SF CA
Silly question but did you set a notification for the appointment that you set? I created an appointment the other day, was sure I set an alert, but later when I checked, there was no alert set for it. Also once you create an appointment, make sure the alert notification really is set by checking both in the native calendar app and in Fantastical.

I haven't had notification issues.

On a side note, I'm finding the watch app pretty clunky with it often failing to update or cancelling dictated messages before they are parsed by the iPhone. Still, I'm sticking with it because I love the way events are displayed on the glances view.

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
I'm talking about reminders not appointments. Appointments seem to work fine, it's just the reminders that don't.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Silly question but did you set a notification for the appointment that you set? I created an appointment the other day, was sure I set an alert, but later when I checked, there was no alert set for it. Also once you create an appointment, make sure the alert notification really is set by checking both in the native calendar app and in Fantastical.

I haven't had notification issues.

On a side note, I'm finding the watch app pretty clunky with it often failing to update or cancelling dictated messages before they are parsed by the iPhone. Still, I'm sticking with it because I love the way events are displayed on the glances view.

I have it set to automatically assign an alert 15 mins beforehand. I feel the same way about the app, clunky at times, but much better to manage from the watch than what apple currently offers. I still can't believe that you can't check your reminders or check off lists like you can on the phone.

Repelle

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Andover UK / SF CA
I have it set to automatically assign an alert 15 mins beforehand. I feel the same way about the app, clunky at times, but much better to manage from the watch than what apple currently offers. I still can't believe that you can't check your reminders or check off lists like you can on the phone.

Hmm. Cop out answer, but maybe try uninstalling both apps from watch and phone, power cycling, and reinstalling.

As for Reminders, you can do those things you mention straight from the watch app. I have Reminders displayed above my daily events, I can also check them off as well. Sounds like something is very wrong with your watch app!

*Edit* I now realise you were probably talking about not having a native Reminders app on the watch.

Last edited:

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
Hmm. Cop out answer, but maybe try uninstalling both apps from watch and phone, power cycling, and reinstalling.

As for Reminders, you can do those things you mention straight from the watch app. I have Reminders displayed above my daily events, I can also check them off as well. Sounds like something is very wrong with your watch app!

*Edit* I now realise you were probably talking about not having a native Reminders app on the watch.
Yup. I wouldn't mind a native reminder app. Though I love that Fantastical puts them together. One of the main reasons I love using it so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.