Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flexibits today updated its popular Fantastical 2 apps for the iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch with support for a range of iOS 9 and iPhone 6s features. Fantastical 2 for iPad now includes split-screen multitasking support, letting it be used simultaneously with other apps with iOS 9's Slide Over and Split-View multitasking modes.

With Slide Over, users can pause one task to access their calendars to quickly schedule events or reminders, and with Split-View, Fantastical 2 can be used alongside another app. Slide Over works on the iPad Air and later and the iPad mini 2 and later, while Split-View is available on the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 4.

splitscreenmultitasking.jpg

The iPad version of Fantastical 2 also includes new iOS 9 keyboard shortcuts when using an external Bluetooth keyboard that are accessible when holding down the command key.

Fantastical 2 for the iPhone now includes support for 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus. A firm press on the Fantastical app icon on these devices will bring up a list of Quick Actions that lets users see upcoming events, add a new event, view reminders, and search through their calendars.

fantasticalquickactions.jpg

On the Apple Watch, the Fantastical 2 app is now native on devices running watchOS 2, improving loading speeds and app opening times. There are also now Fantastical complications that include a "go to date" option, which can be used on any watchOS 2 watch face that supports complications.

fantasticalapplewatch25-800x288.jpg

In addition to these major changes, there are several improvements and bug fixes that are common to both the iPhone and iPad apps. A full list of these minor enhancements are below:
- Additional iOS 9 fixes and improvements
- Improved design for week view
- Tap and hold on locations or URLs to choose an app to open them in (e.g. Google Maps or Apple Maps)
- Multiple invitation notifications are now shown separately instead of grouped into a single notification
- Improved highlight weekends for countries that have weekends on Friday and Saturday
- Fixed hang when adding new events with VoiceOver
- Fixed location and phone data detectors not appearing in event titles
Fantastical 2 for iPhone and Apple Watch is available from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Fantastical 2 for iPad is available from the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fantastical for iPhone Adds 3D Touch Support, Fantastical for iPad Gains Split-Screen Multitasking

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I updated Fantastical 2 for iPhone, but had to reboot before the home screen actions worked. iOS bug?

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
My iPhone app is acting as expected, but on my Watch it doesn't show any of my upcoming events. When I went into the glance it briefly showed me events, then updated to the new version and now shows "No Events Today"

Reactions: luke321blue

luke321blue

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
My iPhone app is acting as expected, but on my Watch it doesn't show any of my upcoming events. When I went into the glance it briefly showed me events, then updated to the new version and now shows "No Events Today"

I have exactly the same issue. Also my apple calendar doesn't show events on the watch either.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
what does the small complication ring mean? # of tasks?
Yup and if there aren't any more tasks for the day, it shows this cute little guy.
notask.png

Frankly, I would love an option to show next event starting time, just like Calendar complication.

Reactions: CarlJ

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Yup and if there aren't any more tasks for the day, it shows this cute little guy.
View attachment 590517

Frankly, I would love an option to show next event starting time, just like Calendar complication.
I'm completely new to Fantastical (today), and have it as the central complication on the Modular face. Start and end times are shown for my calendar events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.