Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fantastical.png
With Black Friday quickly approaching, retailers and app developers alike are beginning to offer deep discounts on their products. Flexibits has decided to kick off its holiday sales a bit early, and is now offering its popular Fantastical line of apps at ultra low prices.

Fantastical 2 for the iPad has been discounted from $14.99 to $4.99, which is 65 percent off. That's the lowest price Flexibits has ever offered on the iPad version of the app. [Direct Link]

Fantastical 2 for the iPhone is available for $1.99, down from $4.99, which is 60 percent off. [Direct Link]

Fantastical for Mac is available for $9.99, down from $19.99, which is 50 percent off. [Direct Link]

For those unfamiliar with Fantastical, it's designed to be a replacement for Apple's standard calendar app, providing event scheduling, reminders, and more. Fantastical's major claim to fame is its ability to automatically create events, reminders, and tasks with conversational language, such as "Lunch with Elon in Palo Alto on Friday."

Flexibits is also offering its Chatology app for Mac for 50 percent off, dropping the price from $19.99 to $9.99. Chatology is an app that's designed to make it easy to search through Messages.

Article Link: Fantastical for iPhone, iPad, and Mac Up to 65% Off for Black Friday

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Nice discounts but the calendar app sounds redundant. If the claim to fame is conversational text to event then meh. The calendar app in iOS and Mac OS X already does this. The messages app sounds nice if my professional world revolved around SMS.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Well, I love the iPhone app as a replacement to the stock app. I'm happy to see the iPad one come down. While I agree it wasn't anything I'd buy at regular price, at this price I'll bite.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Nice discounts but the calendar app sounds redundant. If the claim to fame is conversational text to event then meh. The calendar app in iOS and Mac OS X already does this.

I've been using Fantastical 2 for iPhone. It is much better than the stock iPhone calendar app (which I know isn't saying much as the stock app is not very good).

What I like is that in the main view it shows a list of all upcoming events and at the top you can either have a month view or week view. With the stock app, I'd be constantly switching views or tapping on individual days, with Fantastical I have a single view that shows me everything I want to see and a friendlier UI for navigating that. Also, for the month display, the stock app shows you a single blinking grey dot for days that have events, whereas Fantastical shows you dots for each event which are colored based on which calendar they are coming from.

I'd highly recommend Fantastical 2 over the stock app, even if you only use your calendar a little bit. It's just much more efficient. It's possible there are other 3rd party calendar apps that are better; this is the only one I've tried. But it clearly beats the stock app.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Nice discounts but the calendar app sounds redundant.

I think the default iOS calendar app is a usability nightmare.

There are too many steps to switch between month-view and list-view. Yes... it's only one extra click... but it's a pain. (I actually had to Google how to do it because it's not intuitive at all)

However... Fantastical can show me the list-view and the month-view or week-view at once.

That alone is worth the price of admission. I like the dark mode too. :)

iXEShaP.png

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
My favourite calendar app is MonthCal, which takes a whole different approach. It takes a little getting used to, but now month view is all I need. It's a universal app too, so only one purchase for iPhone and iPad. If you have more than 3 or 4 events in a day it might not be for you.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Judging by the images in MAS the Mac app isn't redesigned for Yosemite yet, I'm quite sure that they will recharge me once they update it!

I have Fantastical for iPhone and iPad, the iPhone app is very good, way better than the stock Calendar. The iPad app is ok although I think that the stock Calendar is good too.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Stock calendar can do this too, hit the box with two lines under it next to the magnifying glass in the top right.

That's nearly as flexible. Fantastica lets you move among days by a simple swipe motion, among other things. It also shows you tomorrow and the day after in one glance, quick view of reminders today, etc.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Stock calendar can do this too, hit the box with two lines under it next to the magnifying glass in the top right.

In the stock calendar app... hitting the box with two lines lets me see the month-view and a list below. But it's only the current day's events in the list below.

In Fantastical... I can see the month-view and the list-view... but the list shows today, tomorrow, and I can scroll to see future events.

It doesn't work 100% the same.

And as kironin said above... Fantastical can show other things too.

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Well, under my "minimalism philosophy" I have been using stock apps (calendar, reminders, notes, voice memos - I have more advanced vis-a-vis third-party apps for each of them) on my iPhone 4 (iOS 7) exclusively for the last three months just to see if they meet my humble needs. However, there are small nuances that I have started to take into account which kind of irritate me in stock apps.
1. Calendar
I don't have many events but nevertheless I find it somewhat cumbersome to do extra taps to input, edit and view events in the stock Calendar app. I.e., I don't like that in order to see notes to my events I have to look at each event in a day or list view. If I want to quick edit or delete an event - again extra tap. Also I can't choose flexible time intervals for recurring events.
For the sake of comparison, Calendars 5 app displays notes for each event in a day or list view. It is also convenient to quickly move, copy, delete or edit the event without changing current view. It does also have natural-language input of events with flexible options for recurring events.
Fantastical 2 is also great but only at gorgeous dark theme and natural-language input. However, like stock calendar app, it doesn't display notes for events in a list view.
So my preference for calendar app would go to Calendars 5.
2. Reminders
Surprisingly, stock Reminders app displays notes (I use them for sub tasks sometimes) for the tasks, which is very welcome. The only two cons are lack of flexible time intervals for recurring tasks and absence of natural-language input of tasks. Of course, I am not mentioning sub-tasks, etc that are too much to demand from stock and third-party reminders apps. And yes, I have to do extra taps to edit tasks. I also would love to use lists as projects in Reminders but once I complete the list tasks I have to delete the list, otherwise I will end up with too many lists, but will be unable to refer to that list/project tasks later. So, in line with minimalism and focus principles I use one list for all work tasks adding a keyword (i.e., project name) to separate them for easy search and convenient view.
Calendars 5 also lacks natural-language input of tasks, but do provide flexible time intervals for recurring tasks. Calendars 5 displays tasks alongside with events which is convenient. Calendars 5 also provides due dates for tasks in addition to reminders.
On the contrary, Fantastical 2 do offer its famous natural language input as well as flexible time intervals for tasks.
But, both third-party apps don't display notes for tasks in a current view. Moreover, Fantastical 2 doesn't display the full name of a task if it is rather long (developer promised to look into it) and I don't like how it displays tasks.
So, regarding Reminders I don't know which app is good since each of them has obvious pros and cons. I might survive without natural language input but lack of flexible time intervals for tasks repels me from making stock app my default.
Another point is that one third-party app like Calendars 5 can replace two stock apps (Calendar and Reminders) retaining their functionality.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I use and love Calendar 5 by Readdle, Sync's across the board, even Google

I like Calendar 5 better. It's very well designed, but my issue with all these apps are below.

That's what I really like about it.

That's what I hate (and hated about Lion). I realize that calendar events and Reminders are often related, but I love keeping the apps separate. Plus, I'm always afraid that a third party app won't sync properly and a reminder won't make it back to my Mac.

Still, different strokes for different folks. Choice/diversity makes life interesting.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I've tried Fantastical 2 for iPhone and regretted it once I found that Sunrise is free and does everything as well or better.

It's ridiculous the iOS apps aren't universal and they want an insane amount of money for a calendar app.

For 99% of the people, the built in Calendar app does what it needs to do.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Yes it was, I watch appsliced, sharewareforfree and the promo code forum here daily. It was a while ago.

I have a few I paid for, like fantastical and 1password, but by far most I get when they are free

Sunrise I like less than fantastical or calendars 5. I have tried them all, all of the free ones at least. Most of the others are offered free at some point and I try them.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
That's nearly as flexible. Fantastica lets you move among days by a simple swipe motion, among other things. It also shows you tomorrow and the day after in one glance, quick view of reminders today, etc.

Yes, I was just speaking to this feature, not comparing the apps overall. Fantastical has other advantages.

In the stock calendar app... hitting the box with two lines lets me see the month-view and a list below. But it's only the current day's events in the list below.

In Fantastical... I can see the month-view and the list-view... but the list shows today, tomorrow, and I can scroll to see future events.

It doesn't work 100% the same.

And as kironin said above... Fantastical can show other things too.

Got it - that makes a ton of sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.