Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
If you look through the specs on the website, it mentions fast charging for the new phones. 50% charge in 30 minutes, but I've seen on some of the articles MacRumors has posted that that is only possible through the adapters from the MacBooks?

Is that really the only way to take advantage of the fast charging?

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Well this is interesting... because I'm on a chat with an apple support person, and they are telling me not to plug the phone into the MacBook chargers, and that "whatever comes in the box with the iPhone 8 will be the best recommended items to use on your iPhone 8".
and when I questioned back saying "so then, the fast charging feature is enabled with the included charger?" he said back "Yes, it is already fast charging!"

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Well this is interesting... because I'm on a chat with an apple support person, and they are telling me not to plug the phone into the MacBook chargers, and that "whatever comes in the box with the iPhone 8 will be the best recommended items to use on your iPhone 8".
and when I questioned back saying "so then, the fast charging feature is enabled with the included charger?" he said back "Yes, it is already fast charging!"

I feel like this is something they would have made people aware of. I feel like they would have said it has fast-charge in the included box. The word "capable" in the presentation makes me think that it will not be included in the box.

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Taken from Apple site:

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using pre-production iPhone X units and software and accessory Apple USB‑C Power Adapters (29W Model A1540, 61W Model A1718, 87W Model A1719). Fast-charge testing conducted with drained iPhone units. Charge time varies with environmental factors; actual results will vary."

Reactions: Zord and Cayden

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Taken from Apple site:

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using pre-production iPhone X units and software and accessory Apple USB‑C Power Adapters (29W Model A1540, 61W Model A1718, 87W Model A1719). Fast-charge testing conducted with drained iPhone units. Charge time varies with environmental factors; actual results will vary."
Where did you see this?

I just had an apple rep reassure me that the fast charging with work with the cables in the box.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
It's well published it requires a USB-C power adapter and a USB-C to lightning cable. Therefore the cables in the box cannot work as it is USB-A to lightning.

I have done some fast charging on my 7 and 6s with an ipad charger. It's not 50% in 30 minutes but it is faster.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Here. Tech specs on Apple site.
Scroll down to bottom and read number 9.
Yeah, I just saw that.

That's interesting then that the apple rep told me not to use those to charge the phone.

And come to think about it, my 7 plus went up about 50% in roughly 30 mins today when plugged into my 2016 MacBook Pro. Using a USB-C cable into my MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.