Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
My wife's Nikon L15 recently met an untimely demise. I'm planning on getting her a replacement for Christmas, but would like to remedy her #1 complaint with the camera. It took decent pictures but was excruciatingly slow at metering and focusing, so she missed out on several great shots of our pre/elementary school aged kids. To provide a little more reference: She's currently using and likes the performance of the Fuji S5000 I picked up right before our oldest was born but it's "too big". (While I won't think twice about lugging the SLR and 4 lenses around on a routine outing, she wants something that can just live in her purse. ) Given that this is highly subjective and dependent on the quality of lighting there are no standard metrics for this. DP Review's "full-pres lag" and "shot to shot" tests are indicative of what I'm looking for, but they only provide those for in-depth reviews and don't do many of those on point and shoots. I'm also looking for out of the box functionality. She's not going to be happy with me if she has to remember to turn off X,Y & Z for optimal performance. She pretty much wants to pull out the camera and start clicking away. As for image quality it just needs to produce decent snapshots.

Can anyone recommend a compact that's been good for capturing those unexpected moments ?

Thanks

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
My wife's Nikon L15 recently met an untimely demise. I'm planning on getting her a replacement for Christmas, but would like to remedy her #1 complaint with the camera. It took decent pictures but was excruciatingly slow at metering and focusing, so she missed out on several great shots of our pre/elementary school aged kids. To provide a little more reference: She's currently using and likes the performance of the Fuji S5000 I picked up right before our oldest was born but it's "too big". (While I won't think twice about lugging the SLR and 4 lenses around on a routine outing, she wants something that can just live in her purse. ) Given that this is highly subjective and dependent on the quality of lighting there are no standard metrics for this. DP Review's "full-pres lag" and "shot to shot" tests are indicative of what I'm looking for, but they only provide those for in-depth reviews and don't do many of those on point and shoots. I'm also looking for out of the box functionality. She's not going to be happy with me if she has to remember to turn off X,Y & Z for optimal performance. She pretty much wants to pull out the camera and start clicking away. As for image quality it just needs to produce decent snapshots.

Can anyone recommend a compact that's been good for capturing those unexpected moments ?

Thanks

Canon SD780 IS ..... very small and light. Quick from Off to Ready to Take Pictures. Great picture quality and 720p HD video.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Canon S90 - the little brother of the G11.

Decent sized sensor for a P&S, 10MP, shoots RAW if you want, 3.8x Optical zoom with an f 2.0 lens. And it's little, really little.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Do they make a fast P&S now? I mean without the delay? That's one of the main reasons I went DSLR years ago was when I went digital the p&s I bought had like a 3 second delay.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Do they make a fast P&S now? I mean without the delay? That's one of the main reasons I went DSLR years ago was when I went digital the p&s I bought had like a 3 second delay.

My G11 focusses in a fraction of a second, vvt-vvt and it's done.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland

Depends what you mean.

I use the S90 as my pocket camera. It's fast to switch on and be ready to shoot. (Less than a second)

In good light auto-focus is fast. Indoors or poor light auto-focus takes a little longer.

Shutter lag is minimal. Burst shooting can get a little laggy after three or four shots.

Using manual settings and setting a hyperfocal distance for indoor shooting can produce very quick results indeed.

A P&S is (probably) never going to be as fast a DSLR but they've come a long way.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Check out the new Canon SD940. I believe it boasts the shortest delay from power on to first picture. I just saw a hands on review of it yesterday and if I had to replace my P&S, this is certainly the one I would get. Decent price point I think too.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The Canon S90 seems to be the best compact P&S out there right now. Good zoom range with a fast (f/2.0-2.8) lens) too. Sensor isn't too absurdly packed with pixels (relatively speaking - all compact P&S cameras have an absurd pixel count IMHO).

It does cost $400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.