Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I think there would be a great interest for a fast G3 Internet browser! If you were to release it, there'd be a fair few people here who would happily test it out.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I'm glad there's some interest. Development will certainly continue and I should have a release out soon. I'm more busy now, so don't expect it to some out as fast as the first beta of the Leopard Market did. ;)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm on board. I've got Tiger installed on my 300mhz Wallstreet now so that should be a nice test-bed for the browser. I've also got an iBook 800mhz and a Bondi with a 333 in it...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Any development on PPC software at all is welcome and appreciated, so best of luck with your browser and I look forward to trying it.
Will it have Youtube ability? Something that parses the URL and passes the mp4 or 3gp file directly to Coreplayer, Realplayer or VLC without further clicks would be great.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Any development on PPC software at all is welcome and appreciated, so best of luck with your browser and I look forward to trying it.
Will it have Youtube ability? Something that parses the URL and passes the mp4 or 3gp file directly to Coreplayer, Realplayer or VLC without further clicks would be great.
I'll work on it, but it may not happen. What is most likely is that there will be a button that sends the URL directly to PPC Media Center, or possibly VLC. I've never worked with Coreplayer before but I'll try it out. Thanks for the idea!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll work on it, but it may not happen. What is most likely is that there will be a button that sends the URL directly to PPC Media Center, or possibly VLC. I've never worked with Coreplayer before but I'll try it out. Thanks for the idea!

Until very recently, you could do it very efficiently with existing browsers but then Youtube changed to forbid it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/realplayer-vs-quicktime.1980864/

However, plugins and extensions manage to extract the video files fine so, in theory, it can be done.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I don't want to disappoint anyone, so let me clear some things up before release. This is not what you'd think of as a web browser. The point is speed, to provide the fastest possible browser for a G3 Mac. So this will be a basic as it gets. You'll have your URL bar, back, forward, and reload buttons, a Google or Bing button (Yahoo would not work well with Safari 4), and a sidebar where you can keep URLs, notes, just about anything. No extentions, no tabs, no bookmarks bar, not even a search box (although, as stated above, there will be a button you can click to bring you to a search engine). The simplicity is for 2 reasons. One, speed. I tried a web browser like this a few months ago and ran it on an El Capitan machine. It was extremely fast, almost instant. On a G3, this will be as fast as you can get. The second reason for the simplicity is that my experience with programming is not the greatest. I know very limited programming to make these apps, and the only reason I make them is because no one else does it. I hope this helps your understanding of what this will be, and I hope to have a screenshot out soon.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
First version coming super soon. No YouTube button, that will come later. Once it comes out, I'm sure some people are going to say it shouldn't of taken as long as it had, however I've been experimenting with other stuff under-the-hood.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sorry for delays, everyone. I have some other plans for distribution but if it doesn't happen soon I'll just release on my own website. While I wait for that, the browser is getting continuous improvements! One more thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I recommend you re-link against Tiger-WebKit (if it offered that functionality, I've never used it so I don't know). That will give you a WebKit version much better than the version found in Safari 4. Still not completely up-to-date, but it will be fast!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry for delays, everyone. I have some other plans for distribution but if it doesn't happen soon I'll just release on my own website. While I wait for that, the browser is getting continuous improvements! One more thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I recommend you re-link against Tiger-WebKit (if it offered that functionality, I've never used it so I don't know). That will give you a WebKit version much better than the version found in Safari 4. Still not completely up-to-date, but it will be fast!
So, you didn't answer my question earlier, but how will this be faster than Safari 4? If you are making a window with buttons around Webkit, that hardly counts as a browser.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So, you didn't answer my question earlier, but how will this be faster than Safari 4? If you are making a window with buttons around Webkit, that hardly counts as a browser.
Yep, a window with buttons around WebKit. You're exactly right. I know it hardly counts, but in my tests it does actually perform faster. Keep in mind that on a G3 or slower G4 you're never going to have "fast", but it is faster than the built-in Safari and TenFourFox. The browser itself didn't take very long to make, but I'm waiting on something and I've also been experimenting with other ways to make it faster. The whole point is speed, not features. I don't really expect anyone to use this as a main browser, but it will be good for those sites than are very slow in TenFourFox or possibly as a main if you're only using a G3 Mac as a music player or kitchen Mac.

You seem to really hate this idea, and I don't understand why. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't even read this thread.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yep, a window with buttons around WebKit. You're exactly right. I know it hardly counts, but in my tests it does actually perform faster. Keep in mind that on a G3 or slower G4 you're never going to have "fast", but it is faster than the built-in Safari and TenFourFox. The browser itself didn't take very long to make, but I'm waiting on something and I've also been experimenting with other ways to make it faster. The whole point is speed, not features. I don't really expect anyone to use this as a main browser, but it will be good for those sites than are very slow in TenFourFox or possibly as a main if you're only using a G3 Mac as a music player or kitchen Mac.

You seem to really hate this idea, and I don't understand why. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't even read this thread.
I don't hate the idea, I'm genuinely curious (almost morbidly). You first marketed a fast web browser, which piqued my curiosity as a programmer. Then, as the thread progressed, I theorized that it was not a web browser, but just an NSWebView in a frame with buttons, which does have potential to be faster (removal of bookmarks, preview page rendering, etc), but its hardly a browser, but a light-weight WebKit wrapper.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I don't hate the idea, I'm genuinely curious (almost morbidly). You first marketed a fast web browser, which piqued my curiosity as a programmer. Then, as the thread progressed, I theorized that it was not a web browser, but just an NSWebView in a frame with buttons, which does have potential to be faster (removal of bookmarks, preview page rendering, etc), but its hardly a browser, but a light-weight WebKit wrapper.
I will be improving it with more features through updates. Whenever I add a feature in, I'll make sure it doesn't impact performance at all, which may keep some things from coming in (like tabbed browsing), but it should have some basic bookmarks at one point.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I will be improving it with more features through updates. Whenever I add a feature in, I'll make sure it doesn't impact performance at all, which may keep some things from coming in (like tabbed browsing), but it should have some basic bookmarks at one point.
Ok, I see, so TenFourFoxBox, but with WebKit, I assume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.