Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ybakos2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Hi everyone,
I've reviewed the compatibility list, but want to check.... can I upgrade a single-CPU Mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with a Nehalem Xeon W3565 to a single Westmere X5690? And if so, is that the best CPU I can use in this single-CPU situation (w/o upgrading the backplane)?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi everyone,
I've reviewed the compatibility list, but want to check.... can I upgrade a single-CPU Mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with a Nehalem Xeon W3565 to a single Westmere X5690? And if so, is that the best CPU I can use in this single-CPU situation (w/o upgrading the backplane)?
Yep The Westmere X5690 3.46Ghz is the fastest cpu you can upgrade. From you post, I understand that you've already read the sticky on compatible CPUs.

Reactions: zoltm

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
There is a quad core that will go faster - important if your workflow works best for single-threaded applications.

If you're trying to squeeze everything you can, don't forget triple channel memory configuration.

But mostly, read the sticky. In quarantimes, what else is there to do? :rolleyes:

[edit] My bad. Though the sticky has a table that says the 5687 works, the last bullet in the notes says it doesn't. I had only checked the table before answering. My apologies for not being more thorough.

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
There is a quad core that will go faster - important if your workflow works best for single-threaded applications.

If you're trying to squeeze everything you can, don't forget triple channel memory configuration.

But mostly, read the sticky. In quarantimes, what else is there to do? :rolleyes:

Which one is that? The compatibility list thread says the X5687 is not compatible.

Reactions: kohlson

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Which one is that? The compatibility list thread says the X5687 is not compatible.

Yep you're correct. My friend installed a Westmere X5687 on his Mac Pro and did not work. Would not boot. There was also another thread sometime in 2018 when a member here tested a x5687 and did not work too.

Reactions: MisterAndrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.