Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Ive just brought the MacBook Pro 15" top spec (ready made) and im coming from a 5 year old 2013 MacBook Pro.

Im new to thunderbolt and so can someone tell me what the FASTEST way to backup using "Super Duper" software to an external drive is? I currently have a standard non flash drive I back up too.

So what should I buy to maximise on the transfer speeds of Thunderbolt?
Maybe even a wireless drive (for at home backups) would be good?

I saw this on Apple website (just an example) and thought it looked appropriate....

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...b-extreme-510-usb-usb-c-portable-ssd?fnode=5f

but then thought to seek advice here to educate myself alittle. Thanks in advance.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
The absolute fastest way will be with a true thunderbolt nvme based external ssd. ( something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-...n&ie=UTF8&qid=1533975819&sr=1-1&keywords=tekq )

Something like that sandisk ssd ( or the samsung T5 ) will be 'fast', relatively speaking, but still limited to usb 3.1 bandwidth and SATA III speeds, so max of ~550MB/s, a true nvme thunderbolt drive can do multiple TB per second, same as internal ssd.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
The absolute fastest way will be with a true thunderbolt nvme based external ssd. ( something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-...n&ie=UTF8&qid=1533975819&sr=1-1&keywords=tekq )

Something like that sandisk ssd ( or the samsung T5 ) will be 'fast', relatively speaking, but still limited to usb 3.1 bandwidth and SATA III speeds, so max of ~550MB/s, a true nvme thunderbolt drive can do multiple TB per second, same as internal ssd.

Thanks. But probably a £150 budget is the roughly max I would want to spend on this new drive - ideally closer to £100. I just want to improve on what I have and benefit from a SSD & thunderbolt speeds.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Thanks. But probably a £150 budget is the roughly max I would want to spend on this new drive - ideally closer to £100. I just want to improve on what I have and benefit from a SSD & thunderbolt speeds.

You won't get anything thunderbolt at that price level worth having, better off with a USB SSD, though you want either the samsung t5 512gb or this years sandisk ssd model ( the linked one is last years )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074MCM721/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073GZBT36/ ( same but from amazon us a bit cheaper, but warranty might not work in uk so easily? )

or sandisk https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-SSD-Read/dp/B078SWJ3CF/

these are both USB-C, not thunderbolt, but both are fastest devices that that budget will allow.

In that price range only thunderbolt devices will get are standard HDD, not SSD, which will be slower.

Reactions: SDColorado

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Easy answer:

Use SuperDuper to clone the contents of your 2013 MBP to an external USB3 drive.
Connect that drive to the NEW MBP and let setup assistant "bring over" your data.

There's really nothing more to it than that.
Don't start "overthinking" things...

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Easy answer:

Use SuperDuper to clone the contents of your 2013 MBP to an external USB3 drive.
Connect that drive to the NEW MBP and let setup assistant "bring over" your data.

There's really nothing more to it than that.
Don't start "overthinking" things...

You should understand the question before you add a reply. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"You should understand the question before you add a reply."

I DID "understand the question".

You are buying a new MacBook, and your goal is the easiest way to migrate from the old one, right?

I provided it to you in my reply 7 above.
Much easier than trying to connect the two MacBooks together, faster, too.

Do you have a spare USB3 drive around? Or any drive capable of holding a clone of the old MacBook?

Last edited:

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
OP wrote:
"You should understand the question before you add a reply."

I DID "understand the question".

You are buying a new MacBook, and your goal is the easiest way to migrate from the old one, right?

I provided it to you in my reply 7 above.
Much easier than trying to connect the two MacBooks together, faster, too.

Do you have a spare USB3 drive around? Or any drive capable of holding a clone of the old MacBook?

Nope, you didn't understand the question for the second time.
1, I have no need to migrate from old to new laptop. I did it manually.
2, I wanted to upgrade my external hard drive for faster backups and wanted advice from forum members taking into account the new MacBook Pro I have brought which has connectivity im new too.
3, Go back and slowly read my first post or post #6. Or dont, its no big deal.

Update, I brought the Sandisk 500gb (new version) and backed up my new machine using time machine for now. Nice alittle device - fast, compact, rugged rubber case, no sharp metal edges (like old drive) and usb c connectivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Update, I brought the Sandisk 500gb (new version) and backed up my new machine using time machine for now. Nice alittle device - fast, compact, rugged rubber case, no sharp metal edges (like old drive) and usb c connectivity.

Nice! I haven’t tried the Sandisks yet. I have a Samsung T5 I like a lot. Small, light, easy to pack or pocket.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I have the SanDisk 500GB Extreme Portable SSD mentioned above and it works just fine as a fast (but not fastest) portable ext drive. I get 450-500 MB/s read/write performance with it. Nice little drive. Bought it at Best Buy for $120. Using it on a new 2018 MPB 15" i7/32GB

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Nope, you didn't understand the question for the second time.
1, I have no need to migrate from old to new laptop. I did it manually.
2, I wanted to upgrade my external hard drive for faster backups and wanted advice from forum members taking into account the new MacBook Pro I have brought which has connectivity im new too.
3, Go back and slowly read my first post or post #6. Or dont, its no big deal.

You do know that people here are trying to help? On their own time? For free? So a better response might be “Thank you for your response but I’m not trying to migrate to a new laptop but rather to upgrade my external drive for faster backups.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.