Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdogg90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2022
Hi, I am lloking for some help with a booting issue with a 2015 MBP following the update to OS monterey. Initially it would get to the lock screen and then get stuck on the log in so I followed the following steps:

Reset SMC/PRAM

Power cycled

Checked drive is disk utility - no issues

Booted in safe mode and removed all start up items

Reinstalled IOS monterey

All of this failed to solve the problem. I decided to completely wipe the laptop and and reinstall the os, on completion of this it logged in ok, however when I shut the laptop down it then failed to boot and wouldnt get to the lock screen. It will still boot in safe mode, but when i tried to reinstall the OS again after running out of ideas it got stuck again, I left it updating over night and nothing happened!

Does anyone have any ideas what the next step should be? is this likely to be a hardware fault?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
. I decided to completely wipe the laptop and and reinstall the os, on completion of this it logged in ok
Was that reinstall Monterey or did you try downgrading? I would try downgrading to an older OS

Jdogg90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2022
Was that reinstall Monterey or did you try downgrading? I would try downgrading to an older OS
thanks for your reply,It was monterey, the only back up that I have is from monterey, is there a way to do that still?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the MBP is backed up, try booting to INTERNET recovery:
Command-OPTION-R
at boot.

You'll need your wifi password.

Be patient while the utilities load and the globe spins.

Can you get to the internet utilities?

If so, you can "wipe the drive" completely and start over.
(you cannot completely erase an internal drive from "the recovery partition" -- you must boot to internet recovery, which is different)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.