Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budhardy

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
So, I’m curious about the app most users use for sketching on iPad with Apple Pencil. I see a lot of bloggers have the same looking app in their videos but don’t know what the app is.

thanks

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Everyone always seems to like procreate except me ! I don't like the user interface or some of the pens, and seems to be more for art [which is fine].

For me, and I do more product and environments, I use Adobe Fresco [used to be Sketch]. I much preferred it when it was more basic but still enjoy the speed and pen types it has the most. TBH I use it in a simple way and don't push Fresco, although I use it daily.
I think I have gone through all the sketch apps, and always go back to Adobe.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
My favorite sketching app is Tayasui Sketches. I find Procreates interface overly minimalist, but I’m sure it’s powerful once you know what you are doing.
[automerge]1594246872[/automerge]
Everyone always seems to like procreate except me ! I don't like the user interface or some of the pens, and seems to be more for art [which is fine].

For me, and I do more product and environments, I use Adobe Fresco [used to be Sketch]. I much preferred it when it was more basic but still enjoy the speed and pen types it has the most. TBH I use it in a simple way and don't push Fresco, although I use it daily.
Adobe Fresco and Sketch seem to be different products altogether. Sketch was last updated two weeks ago.

As good as some of the Adobe apps are, the Adobe ID requirement coupled with subscriptions for even basic features keep me away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maclinux

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
I do love Procreate, however I’ve been having a lot of fun with Adobe Fresco.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Procreate if what I'm doing is more about producing a finished drawing/watercolor.

Concepts for playing and exploring and pushing ideas around.

Affinity Designer for precision (e.g. repeat pattern design).

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
For pure sketching: Paper by WeTransfer (used to be "Paper by 53"). No layers, no whistles, no bells, not a million brush settings, just a couple of very well crafted tools and an empty canvas. My absolute favorite by a long distance.

In case you need just a little more (like a few layers): Linea Sketch by Iconfactory.
[automerge]1594317857[/automerge]
If it isn't Procreate, then it is Notability or GoodNotes.

Notability and GoodNotes don't even have a Pencil tool.
I could agree with Noteshelf though - but all three are really focussing on notetaking IMHO.
[automerge]1594317996[/automerge]

Never got to like Procreate either. A million brushes and settings, but not a single pencil brush that comes near a real pencil look-and-feel...

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
For sketching out ideas and simple diagrams, Notes for anything that doesn’t require layers, Procreate when I need layers or more control. Notes in iOS14 is a really good drawing app for getting ideas out of your head without getting lost in a UI — just the right set of features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.