Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ranstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Greetings fellow mac lovers.

Down to business. In final cut pro, if you try and export a video project over a certain size, with the default settings, you get a fragmented file; a name.mov file, and a name-av1 file.

This is old news, and a problem that can easily be avoided my anyone who is familiar with FCP.

If you own FCP, you can re-import this fragmented file, and FCP treats it like a single file. You can then re-export it properly as a single file.

I no longer have Final cut pro.

I need some creative Ideas on how to save this file. If we have any long time FCP users, you've heard this sob-story a hundred times, so this is old news.

I'm working from a windowsPC ;'( and would really like this old fragmented file converted to a usable format.

Any experts? Thanks for your time.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Greetings fellow mac lovers.

Down to business. In final cut pro, if you try and export a video project over a certain size, with the default settings, you get a fragmented file; a name.mov file, and a name-av1 file.

Are you referring to FCP 7? I’ve never seen this issue on FCPX.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm old, but I haven't heard this news before. It certainly hasn't been an issue with FCPX. Perhaps it can be traced back to this community.apple response:
There are only two ways this will happen, if the drive is not correctly formatted or if the limit export function is checked.

No matter - that was then and this is now. If you can open the .mov file, I would try to install a version of Quicktime Player (or equivalent like VLC) and insert the segments into it, one after the other. On a Mac, I have used Quicktime to create a single video file from multiple segments just by dragging and dropping.

Ranstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
This was exported in FinalCut Pro 3.1
You're right, it was the limit export function though. That was hard to turn off at low specs in 2005.

I'm trying VLC... It doesn't like the codec at all... So far conversions are a mess...
My original file was in a raw format, soooo... This shouldn't be an issue.... But it is...

At least I can play the file... I'll try some more...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.