Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
Hi,

I'm making a time-lapse of Aurora, I've edited my images in Pixinsight and they are 16bit tiff files, Adobe RGB.

I create a new project, 6000x4000 25fps and rec. 709.

I set each frame to be 2s long.

No matter what format I export to, it says "Colour profile: HD (1-1-1)".

I believe it's not suitable for such high res video?

My camera is Lumix S5 and it takes 14bit RAWs.

Files detail:

Single frame:
https://mega.nz/file/S8EiyDhb#f9noGkxgo0mLpqPymsy_QhtbRBxe8KrsrBzDICnL2cA

All frames:
https://mega.nz/file/KxdkmThZ#x16SHAfOZSz1NSePuxp-8jWel4XDOeVhQ2GBdswTg20

Thanks

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
First off… why in the world would you create a 6000x4000 project? Are you planning on showing this in IMAX+? It's nonsensical.
Second, what exactly do you think you should be getting when exporting a Rec 709 project? Do you even know what "HD (1-1-1)" means and why it's there?! What in your mind is better/ideal? Who told you it needed to be something else and WHY?
And how do 2-second frames qualify as "timelapse"? That's more like "slomo"! 😂

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
First off… why in the world would you create a 6000x4000 project? Are you planning on showing this in IMAX+? It's nonsensical.
Second, what exactly do you think you should be getting when exporting a Rec 709 project? Do you even know what "HD (1-1-1)" means and why it's there?! What in your mind is better/ideal? Who told you it needed to be something else and WHY?
And how do 2-second frames qualify as "timelapse"? That's more like "slomo"! 😂
First of all you should work on your attitude.

Second of all I keep my data in best possible quality so why is it a concern for you? You know that there are already cameras recording in 8k?

As for Rec 709 that is exactly the issue, I don't have other option while creating the project, that's why I'm asking here.

And to your last statement, I guess you don't know much about Aurora and how fast it moves.

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
1-1-1 are the code points for Rec 709, so you are getting exactly what you configure the project for.

If you want a wider gamut, configure the Final Cut library to use "Wide Gamut HDR", and then create a project using Rec 2020 if your source file have wide gamut color, or 2100 PQ if your files are HDR too, which I doubt.

Then export to HEVC 10-bit, or ProRes, and look if it makes a different at all on your display.

Reactions: Astrohunter

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
1-1-1 are the code points for Rec 709, so you are getting exactly what you configure the project for.

If you want a wider gamut, configure the Final Cut library to use "Wide Gamut HDR", and then create a project using Rec 2020 if your source file have wide gamut color, or 2100 PQ if your files are HDR too, which I doubt.

Then export to HEVC 10-bit, or ProRes, and look if it makes a different at all on your display.
I've tried creating a new project and setting it to REC 2020 (standard, without HDR), and exporting to Pro Res.
REC 2020 can't be exported as H264/H265 in FCP X.

I can always use Handbrake to go from ProRes to H265 (12 bit).

I was told on other forums that it won't make a difference if I choose standard REC 2020 instead of 709, bit wise.

I know my camera is 14bit so I would like to keep it 14bit if possible, without using HDR if that makes sense?
Same as my RAW files are 14bit.

H265 in Handbrake doesn't allow more than 12bit, so I would have to stick to ProRes.

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
12 or more bits are useful only if you plan to heavily edit the video in the future, but the best way is to simply keep the original file in this case.

Most monitors are 8-bit, or 8-bit with dithering to simulate 10-bit. There is no need to use anything higher than 10-bit for distribution.

Rec 2020 allows wide gamut, which is unrelated to the bit depth of the video, but it requires more than 8-bit to properly store all the wide gamut colors.

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
12 or more bits are useful only if you plan to heavily edit the video in the future, but the best way is to simply keep the original file in this case.

Most monitors are 8-bit, or 8-bit with dithering to simulate 10-bit. There is no need to use anything higher than 10-bit for distribution.

Rec 2020 allows wide gamut, which is unrelated to the bit depth of the video, but it requires more than 8-bit to properly store all the wide gamut colors.
The thing is that I want to archive it in best quality for future. Displays will evolve, VR etc. I don’t distribute my content, it’s only for myself.

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
You know that there are already cameras recording in 8k?
😂 Oh, right. So you have an 8K screen to somehow make that relevant? You're exporting in more than even UHD if even that? To watch where exactly?

As for Rec 709 that is exactly the issue, I don't have other option while creating the project, that's why I'm asking here.
So now you have an HDR screen as well? On top of that one that can somehow, by some scientific miracle, display anything above 10bit and over 6K to make any of this relevant? Wow. Oh, and you would at the same time of course be able to discern between a 10 and 12 let alone a 14-bit image? Yet another scientific miracle. And all that with nothing but 8-bit hardware no doubt.

I guess you don't know much about Aurora and how fast it moves.
I guess you don't know much (anything) about color and/or video but are just hung up on random, meaningless numbers. The classic "But it goes to 11!" 🤣 So I guess we're even.

Spoiler: there are zero ways of retaining let alone displaying >10bit in any video or codec (even if ProRes is technically open-ended in terms of bit depth). And even if there were, where exactly would you show your "superior" video?? I guess you think you can pour a gallon of water into a pint glass and somehow still have it be a gallon?? 🤦🏼‍♂️

setting it to REC 2020 (standard, without HDR)
So you don't even know that Rec 2020 is HDR. OK. I'm out. No point in this textbook Dunning-Kruger discussion. Flame on. 👋🏼

Astrohunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
😂 Oh, right. So you have an 8K screen to somehow make that relevant? You're exporting in more than even UHD if even that? To watch where exactly?

So now you have an HDR screen as well? On top of that one that can somehow, by some scientific miracle, display anything above 10bit and over 6K to make any of this relevant?? Wow. Oh, and you would at the same time of course be able to even discern between a 10 and 12 let alone a 14-bit image? Yet another scientific miracle. And all that with nothing but 8-bit hardware no doubt.

I guess you don't know much (anything) about color and/or video but are just hung up on random, meaningless numbers that you don't understand the first thing about. "But it goes to 11!" 🤣 So I guess we're even.

Spoiler: there are zero ways of retaining let alone displaying >10bit in any video or codec. And even if there were, where exactly would you show your "superior" video?? I guess you think you can pour a gallon of water into a pint glass and somehow still have it be a gallon?? 🤦🏼‍♂️

So you don't even know that Rec 2020 is HDR. OK. I'm out. No point in this textbook Dunning-Kruger discussion.
You are obviously 13 year old so not going to argue with you.

And yes there are already 8k screens, yes I have 2 OLED HDR displays and ever heard of VR? I guess not.

If I understood the topic I wouldn’t look for help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.