Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
South Oz
Hi All,

I am getting back into digital photography as my previous experience was back at high school (long time ago now) b&w processing.

I am posting my photos on Flickr and adding them to groups but I don't seem to be getting much constructive criticism.

This link points to one of my favorites am I on the right track??

Feel free to browse my other shots also.

Thanks Kurt

Jan 30, 2006
I'm to take the photo in the bottom is the original right?

The first one looks great, a bit unreal, but I like it. The composition is nice.

Taking this photo without using HDR is difficult, you would have needed flash, so you could expose the sky and use the flash to fill up the scene.

Nonetheless, it looks very nice. Good work!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, I'm no photo pro, so I'm just going to tell you what I like and don't like in your photostream. First, I like a lot of your portrait shots. I feel like you are capturing something important about the subjects and you feel connented to them. Your other shots are OK, but, and this is just my opinion, your focus on post processing is distracting. The excessive vignetting and HDR don't make me really help me connect with the photo any more than I think they would otherwise.

Just my amateur observations.

skaliwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
South Oz
Nonetheless, it looks very nice. Good work!

Thanks. I do like pushing the envelope and have very contrasting shots.

Your other shots are OK, but, and this is just my opinion, your focus on post processing is distracting. The excessive vignetting and HDR don't make me really help me connect with the photo any more than I think they would otherwise.

Above being mentioned, on reflection there are photo's where I have pushed the post processing to far. I guess a thing I need to be aware of this to have a wider appeal.

Thanks so much :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
This link points to one of my favorites am I on the right track??

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Personally, I find it a bit too cluttered to be aesthetically pleasing as a shot- there's not really a central subject so I'm left with a frame full of busy wood, but the depth really doesn't draw me in and my eyes really aren't lead anywhere. The HDR is also over-processed for my tastes, but that might not be so if the frame weren't so cluttered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.