Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2017
I would appreciate any feedback from owners of the maxed 2016 MBP 15" 2.9Ghz/2TB SSD/4GB Radeon.
In particular I would welcome any comments on battery life, performance and if you now regret your purchase! I've seen some earlier accounts that the dedicated graphics on the MBP 15" kept kicking in on many of these maxed out models which has resulted in very poor battery life.

Before I pay over $4K today, I would welcome any comments from anyone that has purchased the same model. Thank you in advance.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Battery life 10+ hours light usage. DGPU kicks in for Acrobat, seems a bit unnecessary. Also if you present (second screen).

Paid around 6000 USD in Sweden. Still happy.

Good screen and keyboard, compact high quality build. USB C provides a lot of flexibility.

Small niggles, sensitive ESC key and touchpad leading to occasional unwanted cursor jump or exit.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I have the 1TB model (didn't need 2TB). Experience so far very positive. Best battery life I have ever had on a 15" laptop, 9-10 hours mixed usage. There was apparently a bug with GPU states in early Sierra releases (it affected the 13" models more strongly though), but now its fixed. Of course, carelessly coded applications will trigger the dGPU and waste the battery. Performance is very strong for the laptop of this size, it also runs fairly cool and the build quality is superb. Very happy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it also runs fairly coo
What's the temps? I have a 2012 rMB and the temps are in the 40s, which seems to be somewhat cool compared to later models.

and the build quality is superb
Yeah, build quality is something that I keep hearing about with regards to reviewing different computers, i.e., Dell vs. Apple, vs. razor. I will say that Apple does make some nice machines in that regard.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Temp wise mine has never gotten hotter than 73c while running light games, and 53c under handbrake [for some reason the fans kick in earlier and harder for Handbrake--gets a little loud, but stays cool]

8-10 hours light usage [I like a brighter screen] does everything I want it to and more. . . . and it can double for a decapitation weapon in the event of zombie apocalypse [J/K...Kinda]

Overall it's an impressive piece of kit and a joy to use :)

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
So far, I'm very, very happy with the machine. Coming from a mid-2009 C2D MBP 17" (a real champ, but I couldn't afford to wait on upgrading anymore...) the maxed-out 15" blew my mind.

Positives: amazing build quality, best screen and best speakers ever seen on a laptop, great trackpad and keyboard (many don't like it, but I do), blazing-fast CPU and GPU, insane SSD drive. I initially had some problems with the Radeon 460 kicking in, but I discovered this was due to a couple of specific apps and closing them did the trick. Battery life is good enough, I get around 8h with light use (but I keep a lot of apps open all the time).

So-so: haven't found the TB commands really useful so far, as I'm generally quicker if I perform the same operations without taking my eyes off the screen. Also, I agree it's too sensitive, it's easy to trigger buttons by mistake, some sort of force touch would have been welcome. Using dongles all the time sucks but the move to USB-C was a right one, it's a superior standard and the industry needs to be pushed towards widespread adoption.

Negatives: a computer selling (in my country) for a whopping 5000€ should really have offered a 32GB RAM option for heavy-duty users (people who do number-crunching on very large data, work on huge video projects, run several VMs, etc.), even at the cost of some battery life. Sure, it's a fringe requirement for a minority of users who might want to use a behemoth-level desktop anyway, but hey, I can't carry my office workstation on a trip or use it on my couch :)

Overall considerations on my purchase: I had the opportunity to buy the MBP using money from a professional budget, so I just splurged on all the upgrades because why not? I can't possibly regret the purchase, it's the fastest, most beautiful and most powerful laptop I've ever used. Had it been out of my own pocket, though, I would have pulled the trigger on the base 15" + 1TB disk upgrade, the higher specs are great but the 1500€ price difference is staggering...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
What's the temps? I have a 2012 rMB and the temps are in the 40s, which seems to be somewhat cool compared to later models.

Right now I am doing some coding, the temp is 37C. There was a backup running half an hour ago + some unrelated fs sweeping, and the temp was around 50C.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Right now I am doing some coding, the temp is 37C. There was a backup running half an hour ago + some unrelated fs sweeping, and the temp was around 50C.
Those temps are very encouraging, My tasks are not considered insensitive (lightroom, some PS, various office apps, and connectivity apps such as RDP)

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Battery life 10+ hours light usage. DGPU kicks in for Acrobat, seems a bit unnecessary. Also if you present (second screen).

Paid around 6000 USD in Sweden. Still happy.

Good screen and keyboard, compact high quality build. USB C provides a lot of flexibility.

Small niggles, sensitive ESC key and touchpad leading to occasional unwanted cursor jump or exit.

What? 6000 USD it can't be possible?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Converting video, mine seems to stay at a pretty stable 51c with the leftside fan and rightside fans reaching about 4800 rpm and 4500 rpm, respectively but holding the temp steady at a 50-51c range. Under light use, mid 30's (35c at the moment) with fan speeds around 2000 rpm.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Well you can also take in counting that in Sweden they have 30% - 50% in TAX on there Salary.
Then they have 25% TAX (VAT) on everything they buying.

I would guess, as an American here, that they probably get more out of their taxes though?

(from a social services standpoint - which for some reason is anathema here - frustrating)

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Well you can also take in counting that in Sweden they have 30% - 50% in TAX on there Salary.
Then they have 25% TAX (VAT) on everything they buying.

To be a bit more precise 5.660 USD incl. Apple Care and VAT. VAT is 25%. Add a couple of hundred USD for extra chargers, cables and dongles.

I am self-employed so I get VAT back and the MBP is a deductible business expense.
I pay about 67% tax, yes Sweden is nice if you can afford it.

All the tax leads to a net cost after deductions of only 1.500 USD :).

On a more serious note, as I need the MBP for my business reliability, lifetime and support are more important than purchase price, I must be able to trust my computer.

I have had a long row of Thinkpads, and after moving to Mac 6 years ago have never looked back.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.