Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azamato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
So as the title said my drunk ass fell asleep while watching Netflix and having some soup... wake up next day, put the Mac away and didnt notice anything. At night I took it again to watch some shows and it didn't respond to anything so I thought the battery was dead. Then I saw liquid coming out of the keys and it was clearly the soup.. I doesn't do anything, the only thing that works is the battery is charging when plugged but it doesn't start at all. Unfortunately I lost my files since I do not make back ups that often.

Is there anything I can do with the Macbook still? Are they worth anything when broken like that? Do you guys have any advice or should I just throw it away?

Thanks

Reactions: metapunk2077fail

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Soup is not the best thing to spill on your keyboard, it’s bound to leave remains when it dries. I think your best bet would be to let it dry and take it to a Mac repair shop and see if they can fix it. I’d say a new keyboard at least if you’re lucky, and if you’re not the whole thing is total loss.

dallegre

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2016
I believe that era still had the removable SSD. It may be possible to get data off of it (I'm not sure). Worth taking to a repair shop and checking if the data is important.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is what it takes to replace the keyboard (which is part of the upper case). 80 steps! And that assumes the keyboard is the only problem.
If it was me, I would take the back off (needs P5 pentalobe screw driver), disconnect the battery connector, flush the keyboard with water (or maybe alcohol, if you have some left over :)), and dry it thoroughly before reconnecting the battery. Not much to lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.