Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Love the first two but then I have always been keen on the over processed look.

1st one looks slightly slanted but I don't know if that's because the photo hasn't been taken straight on or because the camera is at a slant however, have you tried straightening it a little?

The others don't pop out at me as striking images nor do they have the super strong processing of the first two.

All in all a nice set of images with the two first images being my favourites.

roliath

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
dallas
The white gt3 shot is my favorite! Gallardo in close second.

Can you use PS to cut out your shadow in the last two,

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
Ok, first shot could use a little straighting, nice light overall pretty good.

2nd one is nicely processed but you can see some halos and dark spots around the light reflections that could be edited out.

Nice angle on the third one.
4,5,6,7 don't stand out that much to me, but they're ok.

The rest are pretty good. Nice work

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It's hard to describe, but the colors just seem "off" on all of them. The skies don't really look natural, and everything seems slightly too yellow. Almost as if you are applying some kind of kodachrome-like film color filter or something. Maybe it works for other subject matter but IMO it doesn't fit the cars that well.

The comps are a little busy for a lot of them. Distracting elements like tables or people in the background. I know it's hard to fix this because you can't really reposition the cars at will but it does detract from the images a little.

One thing I do like is you seem to have good control on the exposures, giving enough detail in the shadows and not overblowing highlights. There is good control throughout the tonal range. Did you HDR some of these? If so, the tone mapping is not too extreme which is a plus.

Just a personal opinion, but in the future I would pick one or two of my favorites and post them for C&C instead- it's very difficult to do good C&C on a thread which has 10+ photos in it. I find you will get more directed and specific replies if you focus in on one or two images.

Ruahrc

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I clicked on this thread expecting crap, but was pleasantly surprised. Overall good job ;)

The number one thing to work on is the lighting. I know it's hard because you can't control lighting circumstances a lot of the time, but because the outdoor shots were taken in full direct sunlight, there's only so far you can go with the photos with light that harsh. Some of the indoor shots are better (#1 and #6) because the light is more diffuse but still somewhat directional. Not a huge fan of your post processing choices... If you're going to present a series of photos, it's best to pick one color tone and process all of the photos with that same color tone, so there's a better sense of uniformity and consistency.

Good luck and keep practicing!

PS Ruf Porsche? YES PLEASE!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

All of these pictures were processed thru Aperture. The 1st picture has the most work done to it. There were some lights directly above the car that left some huge patches of white light on the windshield and hood that I had to clone out. But the end result is very nice.

I used different processing on all of these just to see which ones people preferred. More of a test than anything else. My favorites are #1, #2, #3, and #6. All of these were shot with my 10-24mm Nikkor lens and most of them were shot at 10mm.

And to Ruahrc: None of these have been converted to HDR.

Thanks again.

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
You might very your focal length a bit more. Looking specifically at #8, it seems to me that your Nikkor has similar distortion characteristics to my Tokina 11-16 e.g. 11mm produces a great ultra-wide look, but the irregular distortion can make things look very strange. At the longer end of the zoom the problem is much better controlled & objects look much more natural.

There is also software such as PTLens and DXO that will correct for such distortions, and you should be able to do it directly in Photoshop or Lightroom if you have the latest version & the DNG Lens Profile tool.

fstlambo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
Very nice pics man...I really really want to get that 10-24mm nikor lens.

I got to use it in the UK at Goodwood race circuit, during one of their cruise-ins. That Wide angle just adds that very catchy unique look.

I just wish it wasn't $900.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
If the AMG wasn't indoors, I'd be all over that photo. I think this style is thanks to the photography (cinematography?) used by the BBC for Top Gear...

Also, the worst parts of these photos are seeing your shadow (no offence, it is a lovely shadow, just doesn't need to be part of the photo), other people and other items, which can't be helped when you're just walking around a car show.

If you can get an empty garage with decent lighting then your techniques used here would shine through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.