Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I am getting myself interested in photography and I have a few questions...

1) What camera should I get? I have a tight budget ($300) and I will be buying used, so it doesn't have to be $300 when new, just $300 when used (on eBay).
I will be using the camera for macro shots(60mm), sceneries, landscape, and portraits. I don't need anything too professional.
EDIT: After looking, the only ones $300 or under, I found used... are Nikon D40 and D50... which would be better for me?

2) Do Nikon lens' work with canon cameras? and even the other way around.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Have you also checked out the prices on used D70s? They're also very good and capable cameras. Perhaps you could check out KEH.com. They are pretty good for used equipment, so I have read about here and also from the content of their site.
Does your $300 budget include also buying a lens or will you add that on top of the $300? Or are you looking just for a body?
The D50 might be better for you, unless you don't mind manually focusing since the D40 doesn't have a built in autofocus motor. That is if you will use any lenses that don't have AF-S. Not that learning to manually focus wouldn't be a fantastic idea anyway :D.

I don't know much about the Canon to Nikon lens compatibility. All I do know it that they don't fit each other at all and I hear that trying to do so with adaptors isn't a great idea at all.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
Have you also checked out the prices on used D70s? They're also very good and capable cameras. Perhaps you could check out KEH.com. They are pretty good for used equipment, so I have read about here and also from the content of their site.
Does your $300 budget include also buying a lens or will you add that on top of the $300? Or are you looking just for a body?
The D50 might be better for you, unless you don't mind manually focusing since the D40 doesn't have a built in autofocus motor. That is if you will use any lenses that don't have AF-S. Not that learning to manually focus wouldn't be a fantastic idea anyway :D.

I don't know much about the Canon to Nikon lens compatibility. All I do know it that they don't fit each other at all and I hear that trying to do so with adaptors isn't a great idea at all.

ty for your post, I haven't checked the D70's, so I geuss I will now :p
The $300 budget is for the camera and the standard lens (on ebay I saw a D50 with the standard lens (the kit thingy) for $120 (still bids being made))
Extra lens will be purchased when I get the money,
and I actually would like to manually focus...

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
If you plan to use older Nikkor lenses or some third-party lenses, buy the D50 instead of the D40. Only AF-S and AF-I lenses will auto-focus when used with the D40.

If you want to focus manually, you should be considering a camera with a proper viewfinder and a focusing screen, which were common before digital cameras and auto-focus.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
EDIT: After looking, the only ones $300 or under, I found used... are Nikon D40 and D50... which would be better for me?
The D50. The D40 lacks a focus motor and will only autofocus with lenses that have their own motor. The Nion 60mm lacks a focus motor. As do most of the used Nikon lenses. Get the D50 for better compatabilty with used Nikon lenses.

2) Do Nikon lens' work with canon cameras? and even the other way around.

No. Not even close. Once you pick a brand you are kind of stuck with it. Pick the brand carfully don't just go with whatever you find heap on eBay first.

Your best bang per buck is with film. I doubt you could get a DSLR body and a macro lense for $300. But you could if you shot film. With Nikon you could buy a good manual focus film body and a macro lens for well under $300. Later get the DSLR and the lens will still work with the new body.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
No. Not even close. Once you pick a brand you are kind of stuck with it. Pick the brand carfully don't just go with whatever you find heap on eBay first.

Actually, you can get an adapter that will allow the use of Nikon lenses on a Canon body- in fully manual mode. But in that case you're way better off with Canon lenses. The reverse doesn't work because of the distance to the sensor on Canon bodies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
and I actually would like to manually focus...

Have you actually used an auto focus lens in manual focus mode? Most of them are awful. The focus ring is to small, the throw on the ring is to short and there is a bit of "play" in the system. If you want to manually focus get a manual focus lens they are less expensive on the used market and they work much better.

I would definitely recommend the D50 or D70 over the D40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.