Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
I really want the K20D
(I'm a pentax fan, been stuck since my first pentax SLR a few years ago)
I'm always outside, in the rain, motocrosses, desert, etc... This thing is pretty much weather proof... What about the two below.. are they going to take a crap on me in the rain and dust?

My other choices are the...

Nikon D60

Canon 450D (love the whole software interface for Live view on the PC/mac and camera controls thru usb)

Anyone have some awesome input? I know there's the Nikon and canon fans out there that will beg me into it... but I wanna know something that will keep me happy with my choice of the K20D .... if the K20D has the cool Computer interface software I wouldn't even be posting this lol. I've read all over and seen samples, the k20d takes absolute superior photos using a different sensor technology ... the 180 flash sync speed kind of gets me down though..

thanks..
-steve

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I am a Kodak/Nikon user. I don't like the D40/D40x/D60 except for the bulk.
I like the features of K100D/K100D Super/K200D/K10D/K20D.

But I want full frame. And some of the Nikon glass, that's why I didn't switch to the 5D and got a used Kodak instead (the D3 is too expensive and big).

So I hope for a Fuji or D400 full frame. Meanwhile, the Kodak will have to do.

The D300 looks very nice. But it's not full frame.

Real weather sealing rules.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Different levels of cameras. The K20D is comparable (in price and build) to the Nikon D200 or Canon 40D, not to the Nikon D60 and Canon 450D.

What do you mean by "the k20d takes absolute superior photos using a different sensor technology"?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The K20D does not compare to the D200, but to the D300, because it has live view. The main thing that the K20D lacks compared to both is a metal body, and the hi-res LCD compared to the D300. Its advantage is in-body stabilization.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you've already got some Pentax lenses, you'd may as well stick with Pentax. Great cameras, great lenses.
I have to agree here. Why bother starting over when Pentax does make some great cameras?
Different levels of cameras. The K20D is comparable (in price and build) to the Nikon D200 or Canon 40D, not to the Nikon D60 and Canon 450D.

What do you mean by "the k20d takes absolute superior photos using a different sensor technology"?
I'd also like to know how the OP can qualify this statement. I'm real curious.
The K20D does not compare to the D200, but to the D300, because it has live view. The main thing that the K20D lacks compared to both is a metal body, and the hi-res LCD compared to the D300. Its advantage is in-body stabilization.
I'd still compare it to the D200 despite the live view feature. It doesn't help the photo any more to have live view...unless I'm somehow using it wrong.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC

If your measure of comparison is limited to one feature, you can come up with comparisons like this. But it's not a very sensible way to look at things. The Pentax K20D is simply not in the same league as the Nikon D300, and is not in the same price range accordingly.

Live view and LCD size are pretty minimal issues for most people at the end of the day. For sports shooting for example, the D300's better high-ISO performance, faster top shutter speed, and 6 FPS vrs 3 would be more important points of comparison.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
IfThe Pentax K20D is simply not in the same league as the Nikon D300, and is not in the same price range accordingly.

Well, it doesn't have to cost about the same. Pentax has aggresive pricing.
The K10D competed with the D200 (minus the metal body) and it was much cheaper. The 30D was no comparison to them as it was not weather sealed, even if the K10D cost the same or less.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
No, it's not in the same league as the D300, but nothing is right now. ;) Hell, I'd take a D300 over any camera, even when considering the D3 and all the other camera brands. Seriously.

The Pentax K20D is still an excellent camera, and is on par with everything else (i.e.: Canon 40D, Olympus E-3, Sony A700), and slightly less than the D300. Besides, any differences that DO exist aren't that big, so you don't need to worry about it. Just buy the K20D because it's the best camera for YOU, which is all that matters. It's definitely more weather resistant than the other cameras you mentioned. They definitely aren't comparable to the K20D in that respect.

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I've read all over and seen samples, the k20d takes absolute superior photos using a different sensor technology

All three cameras use similar CMOS image sensors, so I have no idea where you are getting that idea from.

Just stick with Pentax sine you already have lenses for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.