Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MANU_A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Hi

The latest MAC 10.14.x and MAC 10.15.x OS have degraded their behavior with Word applications on Network drives mapped via SMB. These network drives are shared drives on the Windows-2019 File server or it can be on any Linux File server.

Issues:

A) When we map an n/w drive on MAC10.14.x and above versions with SMB and open a .docx file and close it, the file lock is not released by the client even after closing/force-existing the application on the client. This takes a toll on our n/w users who are working on co-editing the file for various needs of my Enterprise. Thorough testing has revealed that this issue is not seen on MAC10.12/10.13 .

We can reconfirm this issue by listing the files opened on n/w drive on Windows2019 File servers PowerShell command "Get-SmbOpenFile", we will continue to see the file lock from the client even after closing/force-existing the file/application from the client.

Did anyone hear/observed this issue?

Are there any posts/fixes about this behavior that Apple introduced from MAC10.14? This is really degrading MAC usability and corrupting n/w users data and making lives of Shared drive administrators difficult!!!!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Not seen it...but no 2019 Server.

Possible clues here and here and here.

Many years ago I saw similar issues, and as I recall, it turned out to be read-only permissions on the invisible temp auto-save files, or more specifically their parent folder. But I thought that was resolved long ago.

Reactions: MANU_A

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
Looking at this, reminds me of the issues I saw years ago, and that were solved via the correct write ACLs on both the enclosing folder and permissions inheritance to all enclosed files & folders (essential for temp/invisible/autosave files).

By the way...what version of Word/Office is being used on the Macs? Is this a mixed platform environment? If so, what version of Word/Office is being used on Win?

MANU_A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
I am very much certain that this issue is from MAC10.14 and not introduced from the Office version. Have tried Office2011/2016/2019 on MAC10.12, and 10.13, and 10.14 - everything points finger @ MAC OS 10.14

And the ACLs are all intact and fine, same Office versions are used on Win also but no issues on Win.

Apple published this somewhat related to the issue I faced, but they aren't helpful

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
Good to rule stuff out. I asked about Office version, because if the locking issue is anything to do with it (temp files and/or autosave unable to write or close) it could change with Office versions...at least regarding exact file paths or locations.

I have users saving Word docs to Windows shares from 10.14 machines without this issue, but the Win servers are not 2019. I can add that the Macs are able to save without issue and include these parameters:

• Macs are bound to AD, or using NoMAD login instead of binding
  • Win shares use AD credentials for access
  • Win shares are configured via a GPO
  • Win servers are configured to NOT save .DS_Store files
I can't offer much more, as the Win servers are not under my control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.