Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatihayoglu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Hi all,
So, I've installed iOS13 and I have a Synology NAS at home which has SMB server in it. On my Mac, I can see the SMB server in a Finder window, however on Files.app, the server is not there. On the other hand if I try to connect with the IP address of the server it does connect.
Is this normal? I'd expect the server would be visible on Files.app as the server broadcast its name.

Cheers,

Fatih

Carlos51

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2017
Argentina
Hi all,
So, I've installed iOS13 and I have a Synology NAS at home which has SMB server in it. On my Mac, I can see the SMB server in a Finder window, however on Files.app, the server is not there. On the other hand if I try to connect with the IP address of the server it does connect.
Is this normal? I'd expect the server would be visible on Files.app as the server broadcast its name.

Cheers,

Fatih

Your are not alone. I can't get the Files app to connect to Apple's own AirPort Extreme.
I have tried the following syntaxes:
smb://10.0.1.1
smb://Airport-Extreme-de-XXXX.local
(XXXX is my name)
smb://AIRPORT-EXTREME
None of them actually work.
With the first and second ones I can see the shared drive, click on it, but then "contents not available" (or however it is translated from Spanish).
With the third one the only thing I can see is a spinning wheel saying "loading".
Funny though, I can access to my Mac mini shared folders using:
smb://Mac-mini-de-XXXXX.local
I don't know how that one would translate into English.
Regards,
Carlos

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I have an Asus router with a drive shared over SMB. I can’t access it at all, and I’ve tried syntaxes similar to those of the previous poster. I can connect to the drive using the Mac’s Finder.

I was really looking forward to that feature.

Carlos51

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2017
Argentina
I have an Asus router with a drive shared over SMB. I can’t access it at all, and I’ve tried syntaxes similar to those of the previous poster. I can connect to the drive using the Mac’s Finder.

I was really looking forward to that feature.
The funny thing is that any other iOS app like File Explorer, FileBrowser or Documents by Readdle can handle the shares nicely.
Carlos

gbynum

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
Greenville SC
I THOUGHT I could, several months ago, "share" from most apps to my WD My Cloud drive; now I'm told I must authenticate (it's open, in house only) then when I select that, that "No device added" but I cannot add a device. Color me puzzled. I could, from a picture, share with our network printer; that seems gone too? These MIGHT have been lost when I updated to iOS12 though.

I thought iOS13 would allow my browsing shared folders (you can tell I'm a DOS/Windows/Netware guy). Did I misunderstand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.