Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
A friend took a bunch of shots (hundreds) in RAW, loaded them into my computer, into Aperture. She had no computer at the time. I did a back-up of all my files, her pics included. Her files are CR2.

Now she has a computer, but has decided not to use Aperture. I know that I can just restore them to my computer, then export them in some format that she can use in other programs (though I don't know exactly what or how, just have a feeling it can be done), but I can't answer the specific question she asked me - - is there any program that will allow her to import her image files directly from a copy of my back-up file? She wants to acquire some other program, then use the back-up copy to import.

Can this be done, and if so, how and to which programs? How could she for example import them to iPhoto or Gimp (she's tried these, with no luck)?

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I really don't know much about this particular kind of problem, but if it comes down to it, perhaps you could burn her a new CDs with pictures as TIFFs. Maybe one of our fellow posters has a better idea :eek:

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I really don't know much about this particular kind of problem, but if it comes down to it, perhaps you could burn her a new CDs with pictures as TIFFs. Maybe one of our fellow posters has a better idea :eek:

Yeah, I know I can probably export them for her in some sort of format - jpg, if nothing else - but she wants to know if there's a program that will accept a direct import from my back-up file.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
What is the structure of the backup. Is it just the CR2 files in some kind of folder structure, or is it a special Aperture backup format?

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
What is the structure of the backup. Is it just the CR2 files in some kind of folder structure, or is it a special Aperture backup format?

It's CR2 files in a folder created by Apples program called "Backup". When I open the back-up file itself, it opens in the program Backup, and allows me to navigate directly to the folder with the CR2s. I then can choose where I want them placed, and click on "restore". I'm assuming I either can copy that folder, or hook up my friend's laptop as a firewire disc, then restore to whatever folder she wishes. But when I tried to restore these pics to my own iPhoto, just as an experiment, the files weren't recognized. That's why I'm wondering what sort of program will accept them, so I can have her install that program.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
What camera were these RAW files create from? iPhoto can handle RAW files from the same cameras as Aperture so they should be readable.

They should be readable by any app that supports RAW images.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
What camera were these RAW files create from? iPhoto can handle RAW files from the same cameras as Aperture so they should be readable.

They should be readable by any app that supports RAW images.

A Canon 350D. When I tried to open the backup into my own iPhoto, I just got a message that they couldn't be read, so I assumed she would need some other program. I have the newest version of iPhoto, and can import RAW directly from my own Canon 350D, so I figured the problem had something to do with the fact that her pics were imported into Aperture, then edited, and backed up from there.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Do you have aperture? Have you tried opening the CR2 files in aperture? (If you don't have aperture you can download it free for 30 days)

The only thing I can think of is that aperture modified the CR2 files somehow (although that would make it a pretty lame backup)

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Yes, as I've stated, I have Aperture - she doesn't, and she doesn't want to buy it/use it.

I can easily open the files in Aperture, but I'm not the one who needs to use them. I know I can open them and then export them in some form she can use, but her specific question to me, which I can't answer and am therefore hoping someone here can help with is:

What program can someone use, other than Aperture, to open CR2 files that have been imported to Aperture, then saved in a back-up file?

For some reason, these backed-up CR2s won't open in iPhoto. Perhaps that's because they've been edited in Aperture before they were backed up?

Sorry if my question wasn't clear to being with. :)

Edit: I suppose the easiest thing to do, is to have her use the trial version of Aperture, just to be able to open the files on her own computer. She can then export them herself to some other format. But her question has made me curious - is there another program, besides iPhoto which for some reason isn't working here, that will open these files?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
For some reason, these backed-up CR2s won't open in iPhoto. Perhaps that's because they've been edited in Aperture before they were backed up?

I don't think that it. Aperture doesn't apply edits to the file. Does the CR2 file open in Preview?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
CR2 files are not Aperture specific. They are definitely Canon RAW files (format 2). These can be opened by Preview or iPhoto (or Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop...)

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
CR2 files are not Aperture specific. They are definitely Canon RAW files (format 2). These can be opened by Preview or iPhoto (or Lightroom, Aperture, Photoshop...)

Hmph. Maybe the backup file does something to them, making them only possible to open in the program they came from???

Oh well, I can have her download the trial version of Aperture, just to get them open. Or maybe the bundled Canon software can open them for her, I didn't think of trying that.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hmph. Maybe the backup file does something to them, making them only possible to open in the program they came from???

Oh well, I can have her download the trial version of Aperture, just to get them open. Or maybe the bundled Canon software can open them for her, I didn't think of trying that.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Backup should not alter the files at all, but it is renowned as being rubbish. The ability for Preview/iPhoto/Aperture to open RAW images is provided by the OS. What version of OSX is she on? If it's 10.4.x then it should be able to open 30D RAW files as that camera has been around for quite a while.

Canon do provide DPP with their cameras that can open the RAW images and turn them into JPEGs or TIFFs...

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Backup should not alter the files at all, but it is renowned as being rubbish. The ability for Preview/iPhoto/Aperture to open RAW images is provided by the OS. What version of OSX is she on? If it's 10.4.x then it should be able to open 30D RAW files as that camera has been around for quite a while.

Canon do provide DPP with their cameras that can open the RAW images and turn them into JPEGs or TIFFs...

She's on the latest OS version, and the camera is 350D, not 30D.

I didn't know Backup was known as rubbish - it has worked fine for me until now. Are there some particular things that people have found to be troublesome with the program?

I'll try to open the files using Canon software, which I'm pretty sure she also has.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
She's on the latest OS version, and the camera is 350D, not 30D.

I didn't know Backup was known as rubbish - it has worked fine for me until now. Are there some particular things that people have found to be troublesome with the program?

I'll try to open the files using Canon software, which I'm pretty sure she also has.

350D is definitely supported. I have a 400D and for quite a while when I bought it it wasn't supported but the 350 was.

Regarding Backup check out these Blog entries from some very well respected developers/members of the Mac community:

Rentzsch (with links to others)
Michael Tsai

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Maybe this...

I'm not in front of my Mac and won't be for 13 hours, but I did look into the structure of the files a few weeks ago.

This will likely not be the most efficient time wise, but you can create an archive of your project if you haven't already and put that on her computer. If you right click on it and show package contents, you can then navigate into the pictures in their original RAW form. I think there is a folder structure inside the package that has the pictures divided by year, then month, then day. If they are from the same day this should be easy, if not it may take time.

Or actually, maybe you could just export the folder for the year and try to import that folder into iPhoto.

Again, this is totally from memory. Wish I was in front of my mac to look a bit more. Hope that helps.

--HG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.