Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am running High Sierra 10.13.5 beta 2 on an SSD that is pretty full. It's 2TB and has about 18% free space. Since I am going on vacation I decided to go to FileVault2, which I have used previously in earlier versions without trouble and routinely use on my MacBooks.

Forecast completion went from 6 hours to days. About 4 hours into the process the system "went away." Finder lost its windows, apps disappeared, and I got the ball. I rebooted, but this pattern returned in minutes I did a disk check from another partition and there was no problem. But even booting and mounting into another High Sierra ended up crashing the system.

I ended up wiping the disk completely from Lion (which also crashed in the process) and then checking it in Windows 10 with Admin tools. I fired up my CC clone and booted into it (it was only a couple of days old,) formatted and restored the drive in HFS+. Then refreshed a couple of areas that had changed with TimeMachine. A day of trundling. Also updated to beta 3.

Will not try FileVault again unless I have extra time on my hands. Has anybody had similar issues?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Had issue like this with a beta install on a client machine awhile back. Always have clones ready with beta. Separate drive install is best. SSD firmware update fixed, but needed to be done on a PC.

What brand/model SSD?
Firmware updates available for SSD?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Had issue like this with a beta install on a client machine awhile back. Always have clones ready with beta. Separate drive install is best. SSD firmware update fixed, but needed to be done on a PC.

What brand/model SSD?
Firmware updates available for SSD?
Crucial CT2050MX FW M0CR060. I have used FV2 on it with Sierra in the past.

Would never risk this without a CC Clone
[doublepost=1525291574][/doublepost]I believe in at least two backups. A periodic clone updated depending on the use and install pattern and at times of confirmed stability plus TimeMachine. I have had a clone fail and failed back to TM, which works but takes forever.
[doublepost=1525291788][/doublepost]With this proper backup I have also learnt my lesson to cut my losses and not spend days troubleshooting. If something is not resolved quickly I totally wipe the disk and restore the clone. Takes about 10 hours on my 2.0TB SSD from an 8TB backup disk connected via eSata. I have other systems to work from.
But my cMP is the preferred work station by far. Love this thing. Responsive even when running multiple VMs or encoding jobs.

Boy, booting and running from spinners is an eye opener. It takes a while for caches to update, but even after that it's slow going in comparison to SSDs.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Issue I ran into on client machine previously was with a Crucial SSD, believe an MX100 or MX200. Might be worth filling a bug report with Apple and alerting Crucial about the issue. There is a chance the latest Beta is trying to address a FileVault-related security vulnerability and that was not disclosed.

I've stopped using FileVault on MP5,1 since I'm not using a native EFI GPU. All other Apple machines are Apple-issued SSDs for the system drive and have FileVault enabled. Have not installed the latest beta on any of these machines.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Issue I ran into on client machine previously was with a Crucial SSD, believe an MX100 or MX200. Might be worth filling a bug report with Apple and alerting Crucial about the issue. There is a chance the latest Beta is trying to address a FileVault-related security vulnerability and that was not disclosed.

I've stopped using FileVault on MP5,1 since I'm not using a native EFI GPU. All other Apple machines are Apple-issued SSDs for the system drive and have FileVault enabled. Have not installed the latest beta on any of these machines.
Mine has a flashed EFI, but it does not work well with a large monitor. I have to toggle that back to DP1.1, which is a pain. I will keep things unencrypted for now. I do use FileVault on my MacBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.