Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
use an umbrella or softbox to soften the shadows, move the flash towards the camera, and/or move the flash higher so the light spills past the nose.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
use an umbrella or softbox to soften the shadows, move the flash towards the camera, and/or move the flash higher so the light spills past the nose.

What is generally better? a Softbox or a Umbrella? I guess its matter of personal pref. but what gives me more "bang for the buck"? also what do I need for a softbox? I guess a Tripod and some kind of special bracket for the softbox to hold in place? :confused:

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I also forgot to mention, you could also stick a reflector on the shadow side to open the shadows.

What is generally better? a Softbox or a Umbrella? I guess its matter of personal pref.

neither is better. they are just different. there is more spill with an umbrella and the quality is slightly different between a softbox, shoot-through, and reflective umbrella.

but what gives me more "bang for the buck"?

an umbrella.

also what do I need for a softbox? I guess a Tripod and some kind of special bracket for the softbox to hold in place? :confused:

a speedring. lights are technically held on light stands, not tripods. softboxes are usually designed for monolights, I'm not familiar with the applications for speedlights.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
You're totally nuking the back of her head, you don't need a flash for that. Just get a lamp and light her from behind, and pull the flash up front so you have two, up front / or side.

Also, as mentioned, don't underestimate the usefulness of a reflector. But first and foremost, you need to calm your backlight down. I skip right past her face and keep bouncing back to the mess of hair.

If you don't have an umbrella or softbox, shoot the flash through something semi-opaque. Anything remotely translucent could work. If it messes up the colors just convert to BW :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.