Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
i'm sorry i didnt know where else to put this but i need help
i have a Minolta X-700 model film camera, and the shutter is refusing to open when i hit the button. there is no film in it, but i have advanced the roll so the shutter be opening but it's not and i dont know how to fix it, please help me!

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
i have a Minolta X-700 model film camera, and the shutter is refusing to open when i hit the button. there is no film in it, but i have advanced the roll so the shutter be opening but it's not and i dont know how to fix it, please help me!

So it's stuck closed?

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
hey,

i have the same camera and had the problem of the shutter open stuck, try these things. put the exposure ring to bulb mode (B) and try to click, the shutter might close.

also the reason the shutter is being stuck is probably the two button batteries, (like watch batteries) which go into a small twist off comptartment in the bottom of the camera, might be dead.

use a coin to open up the compartment and change those.

see if that helps

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
no, i dont think that worked either. i had it in Bulb w/ fresh batteries from my other camera, and still nothing happened. any other random help would be much appreciated, thankx

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How long has it been since you used the camera? Shutters do get stuck often and it's sometimes costly to repair and for that one it wouldn't be worth repairing I don't think. I started on Minoltas and they're great cameras, but I know one of my SRT models had a stuck shutter and they wanted like $60 to fix it. In theory that's a lot because I could have bought another on ebay for much less.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
yeah... see the problem is, it's not mine :( which is bad... but anyway ill see what i can do, thankx all for help :)

on an unrelated note... film SLRs are on ebay? sweet

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Try a new battery.

Mr_Brightside_@ said:

As I remember the X700 is electronic. Are you sure the battery is not discharged. If it still fails even with a new battery then it needs repair. However the camera has so little value that you could replace or even upgrade it inexpensivly. So don't pay to much for the repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.