Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Hello mates! I know this is called Digital Photography forum. But since many of you are quite experienced i guess you can help me.
I shoot Film. No digital. Currently i Have a Canon A1 and been ussing it for 3 years. But i really have started to miss shots because my focusing speed isn't nowhere near an AF. Also i think it would be nice to have an AF.
I have big hands, so i always use the Motor winder on the A1. Well, here's my question. I'm looking for a Film body that has an integrated battery grip. Just like the Nikon F5. I'm certainly thinking of jumping into the F5, being the integrated battery grip one advantage over other cameras, but i'd like to hear other options (If there are). I currently have canon FD glass, but i already made my mind that i will not be able to use it w/ the new camera. So? Do you know any Camera that has an integrated Battery/Motor Grip? After seeing the bodies i'll compare the specs and decide. Thanks Lads!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I'm not sure why you need a built-in grip...most SLRs (or at least plenty of them) have an attachable battery grip/power booster.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You're on the right track with the F5. You could also consider the Nikon F4.

Don't forget the Canon EOS 1/EOS 1n series 35mm cameras--they are solid, built like tanks and very good performers. They'll work perfectly with all the Canon AF lenses except maybe the ones for crop bodies.

Also, look at the EOS A2 which has an available optional grip. I had one of those and it was a great camera. Not as solidly built as the EOS 1 series, but it was a workhorse--took a beating and never failed to perform under heavy newspaper work. It could do 5 fps, AF was reliable and quick, and the camera was very flexible and fast to work with--no menus at all. You could program it to leave the film leader out upon rewind so you could change film in mid roll, and then later reload the same roll, advance past the last exposure, and use the rest of the film. ASA/ISO settings could be manually set, or auto w/manual override. I still have fond memories of how good that camera was...

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I'm not sure why you need a built-in grip...most SLRs (or at least plenty of them) have an attachable battery grip/power booster.

That's because i found more sturdy the built in, also i'm kinda distracted and if for X or Y reason i take it off inside my house i'm really prone to leave it in the house (has happened to me).

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
You're on the right track with the F5. You could also consider the Nikon F4.

Don't forget the Canon EOS 1/EOS 1n series 35mm cameras--they are solid, built like tanks and very good performers. They'll work perfectly with all the Canon AF lenses except maybe the ones for crop bodies.

Also, look at the EOS A2 which has an available optional grip. I had one of those and it was a great camera. Not as solidly built as the EOS 1 series, but it was a workhorse--took a beating and never failed to perform under heavy newspaper work. It could do 5 fps, AF was reliable and quick, and the camera was very flexible and fast to work with--no menus at all. You could program it to leave the film leader out upon rewind so you could change film in mid roll, and then later reload the same roll, advance past the last exposure, and use the rest of the film. ASA/ISO settings could be manually set, or auto w/manual override. I still have fond memories of how good that camera was...

That Sounds great! I've taken a look at the EOS1n And de EOS 2 and i definitevely have to consider them, I like the eye driven focusing system :).

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It was the EOS A2E that had the 5-zone eye-focusing system. I used to have that camera and at the time I was very pleased with it. Do you shoot slides?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
There are several models from both Nikon and Canon that will work great for what you are needing. I had the EOS-3 with the PB grip. I didn't use the grip, as i shot mostly slides. The EOS-3 has the same 45 pt AF system found in the EOS-1V, which the Canons' 1D digital pro bodies are based on.

Nikon has the F series, the F5 and i think they have the F6 which is a wonderful camera. I haven't owned any Nikon gear, however.

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
The price of 35mm equipment has crashed so low, that you have your choice of the world's best equipment for pennies on the dollar.

Only a few film cameras have maintained a premium value -- notably the Nikon F6 and the Leicas.

I don't know how much money you want to spend. But unless you have deep pockets, I wouldn't bother with the F6.

Your desire to have a vertical grip leads straight to the F5. The F5 is renowned for having brutally fast and accurate AF. Seems like a win-win on both of your requirements. The F100 may also suit your needs -- with the battery grip, of course.

Another camera to consider would be the F4s (which is an F4 with integrated grip). An F100 and an F4s are probably close in price, so it depends if you like the traditional controls of a shutter speed dial and aperture ring (F4s) or if you like the modern DSLR-style controls (fingertip control wheels on the grip, ala the F100, F5 or F6).

The best buy in a pro/semi pro camera is probably the Nikon N90s/F90x. Add the MB-10 grip and leave it on the camera. The N90s has very fast and powerful AF, but it's not multipoint like a modern camera. The N90s can be had for a lot less money than the other cameras -- partly so many of them were sold.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
That's because i found more sturdy the built in, also i'm kinda distracted and if for X or Y reason i take it off inside my house i'm really prone to leave it in the house (has happened to me).

well, assuming you don't mind the feel of a high-quality SLR (e.g. Canon 1v) with an attached power booster, you could just tape the grip on. basically a constant reminder to leave it on and not forget it at home...

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
The price of 35mm equipment has crashed so low, that you have your choice of the world's best equipment for pennies on the dollar.

That's exactly what i thought. For about 700 USD i can get an f5 and perhaps a wide angle prime and a 50mm. With that i'll get a kit DSLR. And i like more the film than digital :D

well, assuming you don't mind the feel of a high-quality SLR (e.g. Canon 1v) with an attached power booster, you could just tape the grip on. basically a constant reminder to leave it on and not forget it at home...

You're an ace mate. That's pretty great. It's a bummer i didn't thought of that :D I'm tapping my A1 to it's booster right now :D

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I bought my F5 in excellent condition from Adorama in January for $335. It now costs $575 for the same listing. Camera and lens prices have crept upwards of late, and particularly the latter.

I love my F5. It has phenomenal autofocus, far better than my D700. It moves my 85/1.4 around like it's made of air.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I shot with the Canon EOS 1VHS before the switch to digital and still really like that camera. The grip is removable but it integrates very nicely and doesn't fell like an add-on as the grips for some of the newer digital bodies do.

http://www.juliuslagula.com/images/EOS1vhs.jpg

Maybe I need to dust her off and run a roll of T-MAX through for old times sake...

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
Well, the Minolta Dynax/Maxxum cameras are pretty good, apparently. Pentax also made some AF SLRs with built-in winders, but you'll have to look up that info.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I had the original Minolta Maxxum 9000. Walked in with my first paycheck to a photo store and left if all there. I thought it was a great camera at a time, though obviously the AF system at the time was pretty immature. I loved the M-S-A-P control dial layout. That was all I ever needed.

The Maxxum 9 looked pretty good too.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
My SLR film work is done by a Canon EOS 1N RS, which is a very competent and built-like-a-rock camera. It's similar to the 1V HS that Flash SWT uses, but the grip is fully integrated and permanent, and the camera also features a rather rare pellicle mirror.

Any camera from the late stages of film (ie: mid to late 90s) will do the job excellently, and are fairly cheap now, even for pro models. 1N/1V from the Canon side for certain, and the F5/6 from Nikon are probably where I would be looking.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
yeah, those things (1N RS) shoot like 11 fps. They have a very crazy mirror, if you can call it that. It would be cool to use, but not if i am paying for the film.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
yeah, those things (1N RS) shoot like 11 fps. They have a very crazy mirror, if you can call it that. It would be cool to use, but not if i am paying for the film.

10fps ;)
The mirror is awesome, although you get a slight loss of light (2/3rd of a stop).

Mumstalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
So perhap i'll ne getting the Nikon F5 along with a 50mm prime to get some fast glass and perhaps a 28mm prime if there's one available and a flash. . But i'm calculating that'll set me back bout 600 perhaps 700 USD right? So now an opportunity to visit the CERN's Large Hadron Collider has arisen, and perhaps i'll take it. (i'm studying physics, gonna be an astrophysicist!) so i want to tank you all mates! and if i do buy the SLR I'll buy the Nikon F5, I'll let you know and show you some test pics, even perhaps write a review :D.
Thanks!
< / Mumstalker >

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.