Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
I've been taking photographs down by the river in the glorious sunshine we recently experienced (uk), ive been using a circular polarizer on the nikkor 18-70mm lens, But i'm planning on going back if we ever see the sun again but what other filter would be benificial to me?
Im taking my 70-200mm F2.8 so it will be 77mm (the cheaper end of filters :eek: )
Main subjects are boats on the water and dogs swimming across the river :) mainly things in or on the water,

tar ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... ive been using a circular polarizer on the nikkor 18-70mm lens, But i'm planning on going back if we ever see the sun again but what other filter would be benificial to me?

With digital cameras we can adjust the color in post procesing so the only kinds of filters I see a use for are the polarizer and the neutral density gradient filter.

A gradient filter is is grey on top and then fades to clear. How dark the grey is and how quickly it fades depend on the brand and you can find all kinds. The idea is that the sky is bright so you bring it down a stop or two and place the filter line on the horizon so the forground gets more exposure. The "good" filters are square and fit in holders so you can adjust the height of the line or even the angle. These filters allow you to "fit" a scene with wide dynamic range into the range of a digital camera (or slide film) I bought my set of square glass Tiffen filters back when I was shooting slide film. Price and quality are all over the map. Coken sells $15 platic versons and SingRay sells $100 versions

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Thanks guy's, been doing some research, i'm getting a Tiffen 77mm ND 0.6 grad filter for £33.90 , seems about right for what i want :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.