Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use slot in or screw in filters?

• Slot in

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Screw in

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
What type of filters do you use, screw in or slot in? I've always used screw in, but I'm thinking about switching to slot in so I don't have to deal with step down rings, vignetting, having the same filters that are different sizes, etc.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't think you can pick just one or the other. For grad ND filters, you almost certainly have to get the kind you're calling "slot" - Cokin "P", in other words. But for polarizers or plain old ND filters, the screw in type are much easier to use.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Meant it more as primarily, but I tried to go back and add an option, didn't see a way too :eek:

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
No one seems to have a problem with getting multiple of the same filters for different lenses (or using stop ups or stop downs) for screw ins, or problems with vignetting?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I voted slot because I don't usually use UV filters. I have a Cokin P holder with adapters to fit 67 and 77mm so it works with most of my lenses. You can get polarizes, grad and straight neutral density and about anything else you can think of in "P" size filters.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
No one seems to have a problem with getting multiple of the same filters for different lenses (or using stop ups or stop downs) for screw ins, or problems with vignetting?

I standardized on one set of 77mm filters accompanied by a couple step-up rings, learning my lesson rather late after first buying a polarizer in 67mm thread, then one in 72mm thread, and finally one in 77mm thread. :D

The only filter I've had trouble with, in terms of vignetting, is the Singh-Ray Vari-ND at some rather wide angles. But part of that may be that I have a habit of framing my shots a bit wider than I think I'll really want, just to play it safe (more in terms of the final composition rather than a worry about vignetting). Also, I don't generally use UV "protective" filters - so if I'm using a filter, there's only one there at a time. I sometimes wonder if people that run into vignetting issues aren't pulling that "protective" filter off their lens before mounting their polarizer (or what have you).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.