Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
Can anyone recommend me a good first filter?
I have a Canon Rebel XS with the 18-55mm kit lens

I want something that makes the colors of the photo
look better than the natural lens....

I tried googling but no sites had good examples
so if its possible please post an example of ur filter pictures

thanks,
mario

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If your talking landscapes, a circular polarizing filter will enhance the colors. blue skies, greens ect ect. and it will reduce reflections on water. That's the only filter I use, otherwise its PS'd. Grad filters work as well but if your exposure blending you don't need them.

500px-CircularPolarizer.jpg

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
A filter is very unlikely to do what you want. You will see a contrast improvement with a better lens. Most filters actually reduce the contrast in an image and make them look worse (see http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387_ucZqa/1). For instance, a $20 uncoated UV filter will make things worse, a $100 multicoated UV filter gets you back close to where you are now, but the from lens element is protected from dust and water (this is not a huge benefit btw see http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches).

Are you shooting jpg or raw? Inside or outside? Canons are notorious for picking the wrong white balance when shooting inside which throws the colors way off. Try lighting with just incandescant lights and turning the WB to incandescant on your camera. If your monitor is not calibrated, it can really mess up the colors you see too.

In some situations (such as shooting a horizon), a grad filter as doylem suggested allow you to properly expose both the land and sky, but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for yet.

A ND filter allows you to slow down your shutter speed to make water look magical or remove moving objects from a picture.

Back in the day, many people would use a sky filter for a hint of color, but that is easy to replicate digitally now.

Ultimately though, there is no filter that just improves the color in your pictures.

EDIT: As shown above, CPL can improve certain pictures.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I am on the fence i flip flop about the whole UV filter. I took them off my lenses after i just was not pleased with the results. I am much happier with out the UV filters. Now the filters i have are the cheap 20 buck items. I am pleased with them being off. I am now paranoid like crazy about the front of my lenses. I am not sure if i want to spend 100 bucks on better filters or just let it ride
my lens list
24-105 L
17-40 L
70- 200 L
18-50 sigma DX series

It would be a shame if these got hurt but then again it would be a shame if i had a filter between me and my image limiting my shots

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I am on the fence i flip flop about the whole UV filter. I took them off my lenses after i just was not pleased with the results. I am much happier with out the UV filters. Now the filters i have are the cheap 20 buck items. I am pleased with them being off. I am now paranoid like crazy about the front of my lenses. I am not sure if i want to spend 100 bucks on better filters or just let it ride
my lens list
24-105 L
17-40 L
70- 200 L
18-50 sigma DX series

It would be a shame if these got hurt but then again it would be a shame if i had a filter between me and my image limiting my shots

Check out this link and then stop worrying about your lenses.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

I put filters on when I shoot concerts as I get sprayed with crap from the stage or if I am a really dusty location, it most other situations I don't need the filters.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Another good reason to consider a UV filter is resale value. If your lens has little scratches on the front element, people will be less eager to buy it from you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.