Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrGreenCat

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Germany
MacBook Air - Will come with M2, not M1. Redesigned look like iMacs. Same price, 10 core CPU, 9 core GPU (base). Coming November
Could you elaborate on the 10 core CPU? Does this imply 6 performance cores and the same 4 efficiency cores, 4 performance cores and 6 efficiency cores or 5 of each? Will this be based from the A15 or A16 cores?

ReturnAlt10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
At the moment, leaks say it could be an 8 core CPU with 4 performance and 4 efficiency cores. If it does come with 10, Apple would probably soo 5 each. It will be based on A15.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Personally I believe Kuo that it’s going to come with an M1 chip… then I think the entry MBP will be the first Mac with M2… Apple seem to be using their chips to differentiate their standard and Pro lines lately…

iPad Air M1
iPad Pro (will get M2 very soon)
iPhone 14 A15
iPhone 14 Pro A16

It would make sense for Apple to have the MacBook Air with M1 and the MacBook Pro with M2.

However, saying that I also think it’s possible if Apple announce the new Air at WWDC that it will indeed get M2 as it’s likely M2 will be announced at WWDC this year and it would be a perfect time to plug the Air if it was to come with M2.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
M2 won´t be much powerful over M1 so I can see how Kuo just mixed the rumor. From marketing point of view it´s ridiculous to send a new design MacBook with the "old" chip when the M1 should be refreshed anyway from standard point of view. BUT the Apple Silicon is a new thing and they (Apple) could change the srategy and feed consumer products segment solely with M1. Then again we wouldn´t see M2 in a while then. So I guess that ReturnAlt10 is on spot:)

Reactions: ReturnAlt10

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Personally I believe Kuo that it’s going to come with an M1 chip… then I think the entry MBP will be the first Mac with M2… Apple seem to be using their chips to differentiate their standard and Pro lines lately…

iPad Air M1
iPad Pro (will get M2 very soon)
iPhone 14 A15
iPhone 14 Pro A16

It would make sense for Apple to have the MacBook Air with M1 and the MacBook Pro with M2.

However, saying that I also think it’s possible if Apple announce the new Air at WWDC that it will indeed get M2 as it’s likely M2 will be announced at WWDC this year and it would be a perfect time to plug the Air if it was to come with M2.
If it was coming with an M1 we'd know about it now. The Bloomberg article would have mentioned it being tested. Instead they mentioned 9 Macs. 1 of them an M2 MBA.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.