Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
So I finally bought a Nikon D50 with the 18-55m kit lens after debating between the D40 and the D50. This is my first DSLR and I definitely have A LOT to learn, having only had experience with P&S cameras (Fuji F30).

Now I'm in the market for a camera bag. I'm debating between a backpack type bag (Lowepro Slingshot 100) and the Crumpler shoulder bags (likely the 4 million dollar home). I definitely want something that looks nice and casual and isn't too bulky. I've seen a lot of pictures of the Crumpler bags and have read a lot of good things about them, but I can't help but think they look too much like purses.... Of course, I haven't looked at them in person yet, but I would like to get some of your opinions on this... Thanks in advance.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You're probably not realizing the depth of the bag - definitely doesn't look like a purse. Of course if you're overly sensitive to such things, you should probably look at one in person.

I, being a manly man, don't let it bother me. Now if you'll excuse me, my wife has asked me to run and buy her some panty hose.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Speaking somewhat less tongue-in-cheek this time - I have the 6 Million Dollar Home, and it's not at all purse-like. If you look at it from the side, the profile is almost square - that's what I meant by "depth" in that other post. You don't really see that aspect of it in most photographs, unless it's open and the shot is straight down.

But the Slingshot might be slightly more versatile if you're out and about a lot - that's one of the bags I'm considering for bringing my camera along when I'm biking or roller-blading.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
I think "purse-like" has been the best term to describe Crumpler products. I think they are somehow fashionable like "abercrmbie & Finch" tee's.

I would go for the slingshot. You have the backup of a company that makes products for photography. Not products that only look "goooooood" :rolleyes:

If you have bought a crumpler, that's ok. I respect your decision. After all, it's a matter of taste.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Take a look at the Naneu Pro line of camera bags; the Lima is a sort of messenger bag which really does NOT look like a camera bag at all!

http://www.naneupro.com

I haven't actually seen one of these in person but a friend on another site has one and loves it. Says it holds plenty of gear, including her D200 and two or three lenses plus all the other stuff we tend to carry around. She used it on a trip to China.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I think "purse-like" has been the best term to describe Crumpler products. I think they are somehow fashionable like "abercrmbie & Finch" tee's.

I would go for the slingshot. You have the backup of a company that makes products for photography. Not products that only look "goooooood" :rolleyes:

If you have bought a crumpler, that's ok. I respect your decision. After all, it's a matter of taste.

Interesting. You seem to have a very unbias, factually based, insightful, thought-provoking opinion, and yet you somehow manage to capture that "I'm talking out of my a$$" feel.

Do you own a Crumpler? I have the 6 million dollar home, and there is nothing "purse" about it. It's built like a tank, the fabric on there will probably outlast me, and (most importantly), the camera that's in there is safe, due to the obsene amount of padding, and the infinite number of possible ways I can arrange them.

Cutsman- crumpler are good bags. They are thick, as Westside guys said, but they are awesome. If you're looking for something thinner, look at Domke bags as well. I simply love my Crumpler, despite the fact it looks "goooooood".

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Personally, I think that the larger bags, 5MDH and up, look fine. 3MDH and below kind of have that purse-like look to them due to their size. The 4MDH can kind of go either way, really. Like Lovesong said, though, check out Domke. They have some nice offerings as well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I finally bought a Nikon D50 with the 18-55m kit lens after debating between the D40 and the D50. This is my first DSLR and I definitely have A LOT to learn, having only had experience with P&S cameras (Fuji F30).

Now I'm in the market for a camera bag. I'm debating between a backpack type bag (Lowepro Slingshot 100) and the Crumpler shoulder bags (likely the 4 million dollar home). I definitely want something that looks nice and casual and isn't too bulky. I've seen a lot of pictures of the Crumpler bags and have read a lot of good things about them, but I can't help but think they look too much like purses.... Of course, I haven't looked at them in person yet, but I would like to get some of your opinions on this... Thanks in advance.

If you only have the D50 and one lens you don't need anything to big. What I do is keep the gear inside a Pelican hard case I never use foam in the case but many times I'll but a small bag inside the case with the camera inside the bag nthe case. Now I have a crush proof system to tramsport the gear and a light weight cary around, For a single lens system skip
the camera bag. Look for an insulated lunch sack. Bright colored nylon with foam insulation works well can costs about $5. The Calumet or Doke "wraps" work well too.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks for the feedback all. I was afraid my post might cause some controversy... :rolleyes:

Took a look at the Naneu Pro bags on the site, the Lima looks a little too big for my purposes. Their sling bag looks pretty good though, although it appears they don't have a Canadian distributor...which would make checking it out nearly impossible.

The slingshot 100 appeals to me because its a backpack and is held securely so it won't be moving around too much. The crumplers appeal to me for the opposite reason... there will be times when I don't want a big backpack strapped to me either.... oh the dilemma... :confused: Here's a question, is the 5 Million dollar home small enough to fit inside an avg size backpack? If so, i guess i could toss it into my regular backpack for times when i want to carry my camera on my back rather than have it swinging around in in a shoulder bag (although camera accessibility would be compromised)....

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
If you only have the D50 and one lens you don't need anything to big. What I do is keep the gear inside a Pelican hard case I never use foam in the case but many times I'll but a small bag inside the case with the camera inside the bag nthe case. Now I have a crush proof system to tramsport the gear and a light weight cary around, For a single lens system skip
the camera bag. Look for an insulated lunch sack. Bright colored nylon with foam insulation works well can costs about $5. The Calumet or Doke "wraps" work well too.

I'm definitely looking for something I can somewhat expand into. I don't see myself purchasing a lot of different lenses... but I can see myself expanding my lens collection to include a couple other lenses...something like the 55-200vr and/or 50mm f/1.8. In other words, I'd like to have a bag that can carry my D50 w/ kit lens + 1 or 2 other lenses + some accessories like charger and extra SD cards. I'd like to minimize bulk, so I definitely dont want/need a bag thats capable of carrying any more than that...

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
You're going to end up getting at least 2 bags since there is no one bag that fits all purposes, and believe me you'll think up a lot of different scenarios that will warrant different types of bags. That's just the way it goes when you're into photography. Like someone once said, "women collect shoes, photographers collect bags".

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
...If you're looking for something thinner, look at Domke bags as well...

I love my domke. I have a lowepro backpack that I store everything in, but I hate taking it with me since it feels like I strapped a piece of plywood to my back.

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=domke

I have the F3 and it can surprisingly hold a ton of stuff if you pack it right. Plus you can add the wraps if you want more padding, which i don't find necessary, unless you toss your bag around.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
LOL

Well, I didn't say the "purse-like" term in the first place.

When you buy your equipment just remember: warranty, durability, wearability. If a brand like Crumpler attracts you, go for it!.

And is not my a$$, I bought a Targus kit for CAD $9.00 in Tiger Direct last week. It includes a DSLR bag, a mini tripod, memory holder, and a lens cleaner kit.

Good luck and happy snapping!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.