Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Has anyone besides myself seen devices in Find My Mac/iPhone that you do not own? I've recently had a MacBook model that I haven't owned in years show up in Find My Mac/iPhone. I don't even know nor can I tell that it was previously owned by me. I haven't owned this particular model in over three or four years. So why one of these models would suddenly show up is disconcerting to say the least. Location services are turned off, but the options to send a sound, lock and/or erase the MacBook are still there. They appear to work since I can send sounds to the MacBook without any errors. Since I don't own this model (yes I'm not naming the exact model) I'm concerned from a privacy and security aspect about my own information, etc.

Anyone else seen this before? If so please let me know. Right now there is no way to remove the device from my account that I can see and so Apple claims.

Apple is a company that claims concerns about privacy yet they don't have a solution for this problem. I'm fairly certain that any Macs I sold (and I do sell mine when I upgrade) were properly erased, signed out of iCloud, etc. Definitely with Find My Mac/iPhone turned off!

Note I know some of you will try and be helpful, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way to delete this extra device. I've already tried them all - even when screen sharing with AppleCare support personnel. Right now I'm just looking for people with the same issue. [UPDATE]

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apple does care about privacy and they do provide a solution. All of the devices associated with your AppleID are listed at https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

If your old Mac is shown there, you can delete it from there. For extra peace of mind, you might also consider changing the password associated with your AppleID.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Apple does care about privacy and they do provide a solution. All of the devices associated with your AppleID are listed at https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

If your old Mac is shown there, you can delete it from there. For extra peace of mind, you might also consider changing the password associated with your AppleID.

Yes I've changed the password. This had no impact on the issue.

No you cannot in my case delete the "device" which is what AppleCare suggested initially. No matter where I go or look per their instructions - there is no where to go to delete it from Find My Mac. Absolutely nothing. A few years ago Apple was able to remove it when pressed to do so by doing something on the back end. I've also had one of their techs claim this was a "bug. " Anyhow this time around Apple is refusing to remove the computer. I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to send a LOCK command to it with a phone number for the person calling it to call. I had one stolen from me and it could be this one, but it was stolen during the process of selling it so it was wiped and iCloud was logged out of it, etc.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You keep referring to "Find my Mac". That's not the right place. Go to the page I linked for you. There you can remove the device from your account yourself.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
You keep referring to "Find my Mac". That's not the right place. Go to the page I linked for you. There you can remove the device from your account yourself.

Whatever you want to call it Find My <blank> - read what I said again - THERE IS NO PLACE TO GO TO DELETE THIS EXTRA COMPUTER. I'm no longer seeking a solution I'm looking for others with the same issue. This is something only Apple can fix and so far no fix is available.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
THERE IS NO PLACE TO GO TO DELETE THIS EXTRA COMPUTER
I can tell you're the type who needs pictures. Go the page I linked. Once logged in, your devices will be listed. Click on the one you want to delete. Then...

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 8.59.01 AM.jpg

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I can tell you're the type who needs pictures. Go the page I linked. Once logged in, your devices will be listed. Click on the one you want to delete. Then...

View attachment 806076

Wrong again. Go back to sleep. The device in question isn't listed there - only in Find My Whatever You Choose to Call it.
Have a nice day.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for checking and reporting back. If it's not listed there, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just a temporary thing since you said it only recently appeared. It is a weird problem though, I agree.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Thanks for checking and reporting back. If it's not listed there, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just a temporary thing since you said it only recently appeared. It is a weird problem though, I agree.

It's been this way for a while now. I've actually given up on Apple fixing it, but I'm now exploring the option of suing them. This usually causes Apple to fix things when they are reluctant to do so. After all they also refused to state to me in writing that none of my private data was compromised. Can you smell a dead fish? hmmmmm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.