Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kan1657

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Hello!
I need your advices please.
I've just got map 2017 13" nab 256gb ram16 gb for $1970 about a week and I found these problems.
1. The battery percent when it show on log in screen and after login isn't the same.
2.Delay when using some apps for example when I minimize the size line program it has some delays.
These things happen every time I open macbook after shutdown. I feel so disappointed in this product.
I wonder should I refund my money back from apple (it's in 14 days warranty so I still get 100% back of my money)

Anyway, today I found this deal
Mbp 2016 with touch bar 3.3GHz corei7 512ssd ram16gb for $1976. It's a brand new one not second hand and it has apple care for 1 year.

What do you think about this deal. Does anyone find problems with this 2016 model?
I heard it has shorter battery life compared to the 2017 model and annoying keyboard.Is it true?
Please help me decide what should I do since I have just 2 days left for 14 days warranty.

Last edited:

kadify

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine all the issues you're having with your current computer you'd have on the 2016 as well. You'd be getting more storage and a potentially faster computer though so I'd say it may be worth it. Though the keyboards anecdotally seem to possibly fail more often than the 2017 keyboards so if you get that 2016 model you may want to buy the extended applecare plan for it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don't see any problems in the video? Sure, it shows 99% first, then 100%, who cares? The estimate is adjusted every time. And where is that delay you talk about? The only thing I find strange is that it takes so long for the machine to boot, should be faster.

Reactions: chabig

kan1657

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
I would imagine all the issues you're having with your current computer you'd have on the 2016 as well. You'd be getting more storage and a potentially faster computer though so I'd say it may be worth it. Though the keyboards anecdotally seem to possibly fail more often than the 2017 keyboards so if you get that 2016 model you may want to buy the extended applecare plan for it.
I don't see any problems in the video? Sure, it shows 99% first, then 100%, who cares? The estimate is adjusted every time. And where is that delay you talk about? The only thing I find strange is that it takes so long for the machine to boot, should be faster.
a\ I come to shop to tried 2016 model today and I found the keyboard in 2016 model is a bit hard to type for me compared to 2017. So about the spec I find 2016 has lower geek bench mark score than 2017 but I will get more storage and touch bar which I don't care much about it.This shop also offer me this deal

15" 2016 Touch Bar 2.6Ghz corei7 ram16gb ssd 256gb for $1976.
15" 2016 touch bar 2.7 Ghz corei7 ram 16gb ssd 512 gb for $2310.
Should I go for 15" since it has more powerful cpu
[doublepost=1516801791][/doublepost]
May be you can't see delay in the video but it really has some delay.Although, what makes me concern is the wrong battery life.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Although, what makes me concern is the wrong battery life.
That’s the last thing you should be concerned about. To give the impression of faster login, it’s showing a picture of what the battery was, then it updates. That’s how it works.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
a\ I come to shop to tried 2016 model today and I found the keyboard in 2016 model is a bit hard to type for me compared to 2017. So about the spec I find 2016 has lower geek bench mark score than 2017 but I will get more storage and touch bar which I don't care much about it.This shop also offer me this deal

Should I go for 15" since it has more powerful cpu
[doublepost=1516801791][/doublepost]
May be you can't see delay in the video but it really has some delay.Although, what makes me concern is the wrong battery life.

All battery life indications are very inaccurate guesstimates and as mentioned above the change on start up is a quick little recalibration.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Batteries are chemical in nature and indicators can and do fluctuate violently Operating temperature and load are significant factors, bottom line is such values are just indicators with one looking at the trend over time to detect any issue if any.

Again the stalling of App's and or the OS GUI can be related to numerous factors and may very well be no issue, given the relatively newness of the current OS. As for the 2016 avoid as the keyboard is likely to be more unreliable and the i7 will bring nothing to the table unless your usage/workflow is pinning the CPU to 100% Basically your just buying older hardware with greater storage. I'd stick with what you have.

Q-6

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

kan1657

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
[doublepost=1516809693][/doublepost]
Batteries are chemical in nature and indicators can and do fluctuate violently Operating temperature and load are significant factors, bottom line is such values are just indicators with one looking at the trend over time to detect any issue if any.

Again the stalling of App's and or the OS GUI can be related to numerous factors and may very well be no issue, given the relatively newness of the current OS. As for the 2016 avoid as the keyboard is likely to be more unreliable and the i7 will bring nothing to the table unless your usage/workflow is pinning the CPU to 100% Basically your just buying older hardware with greater storage. I'd stick with what you have.

Q-6

Thanks for your comment. About the battery I think what makes it weird another than the wrong battery is my Mac reboot after login user. Normally it should reboot(apple icon) before log in user and after log in it shouldn't be download anything.

What do you think about
instead of 13" model. I see benchmark in 15" model is around 12000 ,while benchmark in 13" model is around 8000 (multicore). Is it significant on real-usage
[doublepost=1516809629][/doublepost]
That’s the last thing you should be concerned about. To give the impression of faster login, it’s showing a picture of what the battery was, then it updates. That’s how it works.

The battery before and after login usage may be it can reduce because of consuming some energy.However, my Mac book has the different problem sometime it came up with 87% of battery and after login it become 90%or 91%. As far as I know ,this isn't the normal thing my friends who use the same model as mine never face this problem. However, in the video I put the link on don't give that picture for wrong battery sorry about that.
Ps. Today I fixed this problem by formatting
[doublepost=1516809897][/doublepost]
The battery before and after login usage may be it can reduce because of consuming some energy.However, my Mac book has the different problem sometime it came up with 87% of battery and after login it become 90%or 91%. As far as I know ,this isn't the normal thing my friends who use the same model as mine never face this problem. However, in the video I put the link on don't give that picture for wrong battery sorry about that.
Ps. Today I fixed this problem by formatting

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
[doublepost=1516809693][/doublepost]

Thanks for your comment. About the battery I think what makes it weird another than the wrong battery is my Mac reboot after login user. Normally it should reboot(apple icon) before log in user and after log in it shouldn't be download anything.

What do you think about
instead of 13" model. I see benchmark in 15" model is around 12000 ,while benchmark in 13" model is around 8000 (multicore). Is it significant on real-usage

I would avoid the 2016 models as they are Gen 1 and more susceptible to keyboard failure, from my understanding at least $700 for repair out of warranty, taking up to a week on turnaround. If your wanting a 15" wait a few months and there will be a deluge of 2017's on the secondary market as soon as Apple updates in 2018. You will get better faster hardware with less chance of keyboard failure for probably the same coin.

I appreciate many will have a 2016 and have no issue, equally they are potentially highly invested in the product and take such comment personally. Fact remains although somewhat anecdotal is that the MBP launched in 2016 has had record numbers of keyboards failing and the 2017 remains to have issue although reduced to an undefinable factor.

Also once Apple resolves the ongoing keyboard issue the secondary market pricing of the 2016/2017 is likely to bomb with those who have done their homework given the cost of repair and Apple's extremely limited response.

Remember unless the software can take advantage of the additional CPU cores, there will be no impact to your user experience, barring the increased display size.

Q-6

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Have you reset the PRAM, reset the SMC, ran Disk Utility First Aid, booted into safemode, and rebooted?

If all of the above are yes, and this made no difference, have you reinstalled macOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.