Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I have 2 TB of files on a external WD my book duo.
I'm trying to copy the files to another external drive using finder on my iMac.

It gets part way through and stops, complaining that the file is open. I don't see any files open, and logged off the other profiles. I even rebooted the iMac and it's still happening.

What's the best tool for copying / syncing data such that any errors will be logged but not kill the entire file copy?

In the windows world, I'd use Syncback.

What's the equivalent on a mac?

Thanks,
Mike

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Odd that it still fails after a restart. Obviously it's a corrupted file that has been flagged as in use by the Finder — so I'm not sure any copy/sync app is going to copy that file (though they may at least avoid the problem of killing the entire Copy command and just skip the file).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
are there system files on the external? what macgizmo said above, could be a single file (or files) interrupting the process. carbon copy cloner is good for this, i used it to migrate 2 older external drives to new ones (and it's a great app for backing up in general)...

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
It was a .JPG file. I think it was a different file when I used pathfinder to attempt the copy.

For my next experiment, I will disable sophos to see if that's messing things up.
[doublepost=1452801373][/doublepost]Thanks for suggesting CCC. I will take the trial for a test drive. I like it over good sync because the $40 lic is household, and it does both file backups and bootable image backups.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Another culprit tends to be files with names that are really, really long. But that's rare—it's almost always a corrupted file.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
With AV = OFF, still happening.

It's different files each time.

Would the mac copy the files in the same order each time?

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I'm going to buy Carbon Copy Cloner because it not only lets me copy TB's of data between drives, but I can also make a bootable backup of my macbook. I will try that tomorrow!

And, I really like the household license!

Thanks for the suggestion,

Mike

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going to buy Carbon Copy Cloner because it not only lets me copy TB's of data between drives, but I can also make a bootable backup of my macbook.

CCC is a great tool, but for copying files it is really just a GUI for rsync, which comes with your Mac (as already mentioned by leman).

A.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
If you just need a simple sync tool, look no further than SyncTwoFolders. It's a gui for rsync and is just great. And free IIRC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like Carbon Copy Cloner, for duplicating my drive, and I've used that in the past to only copy portions of my drive.

I've also use ChronoSync in the past, though I've not needed to use that in years.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
thanks. the synctwofolders doesn't seem supported on el cap. I downloaded it from downloads.com and it said the power pc installer is no longer supported.

-mike

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
...I downloaded it from downloads.com
-mike
Never, ever, EVER use Downloads.com. There's a whole host of reasons, but the bottom line is that they'll eventually give you problems.

If you don't download directly from the developer sites, at least use MacUpdate.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.