Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussiemediaguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have just upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra (10.12.4) and I'm still getting slow Finder response - whether using an Open File dialog, or just a Finder window - unless I've been to that folder previously, it sits there thinking for ages.

I had this issue when i tried Sierra on the Public Beta - seems it's not fixed.

I've heard Dropbox and iCloud Drive may be causing issues but everything's up to date on Dropbox, iCloud Drive is disabled and I've done the deletion of the CloudKit files as I've seen suggested.

Anyone got any ideas ?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
when you say "still"... this was happening in el cap as well? it could be your drive. try creating a 'test' admin account, and play around with that; maybe copy some documents (not MOVE, copy) to the Shared folder in your home folder. see if you have a problem there; would at least tell you if it's your account... or not.

aussiemediaguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I had El Cap and it was fine - it was more when I'd used the Sierra beta while on El Cap (separate partition) and it was doing it then too.

In this case I've done an upgrade (all kept in place) using the same account as I had on El Cap - I'm wondering if it's the account itself.

Is there any easy way to create a new account but port everything over to it ?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'd copy a bunch of files (to the Shared folder, or an external drive), create a 'test' admin... and work in that account for a bit... just to see what happens. if the problem continues, there's no point in trying to migrate you whole account. if it's NOT the problem, still seems pointless: you'd be bringing over the problem to the new account.

good luck sorting it out!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Is there any easy way to create a new account but port everything over to it ?"

It would help if you told us WHICH MAC you're using and what kind of drive is in it.

If you port "everything" over to the new account, you may also port whatever it is that is causing your problems.

Better:
Create a new account.
Give it an easy-to-remember name and password, like "temp".
BUT -- don't start migrating things into it yet.
Leave it "lean and clean" for the moment.

Next step:
Log out of your old account and log into the temporary one.

Then:
Observe.
Are things running faster, or the same as before?

If you notice definite improvements, then it's a good assumption that SOMETHING in your old account was the source of the problems. Or, it could be a combination of more than one thing.

Be aware that on a Mac with only a platter-based hard drive inside (not an SSD or fusion drive), the latest versions of the OS are going to be a little slow. Not really much you can do about it...

Reactions: wlossw

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
OP wrote:
"Is there any easy way to create a new account but port everything over to it ?"

It would help if you told us WHICH MAC you're using and what kind of drive is in it.

If you port "everything" over to the new account, you may also port whatever it is that is causing your problems.

Better:
Create a new account.
Give it an easy-to-remember name and password, like "temp".
BUT -- don't start migrating things into it yet.
Leave it "lean and clean" for the moment.

Next step:
Log out of your old account and log into the temporary one.

Then:
Observe.
Are things running faster, or the same as before?

If you notice definite improvements, then it's a good assumption that SOMETHING in your old account was the source of the problems. Or, it could be a combination of more than one thing.

Be aware that on a Mac with only a platter-based hard drive inside (not an SSD or fusion drive), the latest versions of the OS are going to be a little slow. Not really much you can do about it...

thanks for repeating what i suggested (with, at least, specific details)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.