Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
When I chose to show all Finder windows (moving my cursor down left out of the screen), I see all Finder windows. When I select one, it make that one active but then focus is immediately stolen by another application. Any clue?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You haven't provided the clues. What OS version? What apps do you have installed other than what came with the Mac?

ewi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
macOS 10.12.
I didn't use to have this issue. I think (but not 100% sure) it started when upgraded to Sierra. Since then, I haven't installed new apps...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, I should have asked... is the focus always stolen by the same application? If so, what is it? Also, have you set up multiple Desktops in Mission Control? If so, does the change in focus take you to a different Desktop? You haven't installed new apps since upgrading, but are there apps on your Mac that were not installed when it was new? Do you have anything in StartUp Items that opens automatically when you start up?

ewi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
No, it's not one particular application. Eg if Chrome does it, and I close chrome, than another application steals the focus...
I moved to one desktop to see whether that's the problem, so eliminated that as a possible cause. Skype, dropbox and chrome open automatically, but I closed those apps and the problem remains... Yes I installed several apps, such as dobe Lightroom, Mailmate, Office, ...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Alright, here's what I'd do next (assuming you've already been through multiple Restarts and the problem remains - if not, try that first). Create a new User Account in System Preferences. Start up in that account and see if you still have this problem.

ewi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Alright, here's what I'd do next (assuming you've already been through multiple Restarts and the problem remains - if not, try that first). Create a new User Account in System Preferences. Start up in that account and see if you still have this problem.
[doublepost=1481848229][/doublepost]Gregg, tried that. No problem there...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Great! Then you have discovered that your original account is corrupt. You could spend the next few weeks or months trying to narrow it down to one thing and repair it, with the possibility that you never will find out what is out of whack. Or, you could do the smart thing and change accounts. Copy your files to the new account (or create another one) and when you're sure you got everything, trash the corrupt account.

ewi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
What's the easiest way to do that? DO I need to copy the files, or can I drag them from one user directory to another one? What about all the programs and the settings?
Many thanks anyway for your advice!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If your applications are in the "main" Applications folder, they will not be impacted by a User Account change. Yes, drag them from one to the other. Copy if you want a backup, by holding down the Option key. When you're sure all is well, delete the old account, and the file copies, if left behind, will go too.
[doublepost=1482170371][/doublepost]
If your applications are in the "main" Applications folder, they will not be impacted by a User Account change. Yes, drag the files from one to the other. Copy if you want a backup, by holding down the Option key. When you're sure all is well, delete the old account, and the file copies, if left behind, will go too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.