Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I just updated to Monterey from Mojave.
The icons on the Finder window toolbar are all right justified, whereas in Mojave and previous OS versions they were left-justified.
Using the finder now requires moving the cursor large distances across the screen every time whereas before the buttons were almost directly above the filenames/folder names.
Customizing the toolbar doesn't allow the icons to be dragged to the left of the toolbar, nor to remove or shrink the blank space.
How can I sort this out? Thanks in advance for any help.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I think the difference was a large search field on the far right that pushed everything else to the left. Now there is magnifying glass icon on the far right without the search field until the user clicks to search.

I know it’s not a solution, but for better or worse it’s the reason…

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
are you talking about the toolbar in an open finder window???? if so, go under the view menu, and go to 'customize toolbar', and set it up the way you want. you can put (or remove) spaces, get it where you need it.

Reactions: idmean and MauiPa

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
are you talking about the toolbar in an open finder window???? if so, go under the view menu, and go to 'customize toolbar', and set it up the way you want. you can put (or remove) spaces, get it where you need it.
I believe he also may have had a flexible space on the right that seemed to push everything to the left. This is useful until you have so many icons on the toolbar that it's not needed. ?

Reactions: fisherking

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
What does left-justified toolbar icons have to do with the distance you have to move your cursor over the screen? Or is your cursor always on the left side of the screen/a window?

Reactions: wdhpgx

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
What does left-justified toolbar icons have to do with the distance you have to move your cursor over the screen? Or is your cursor always on the left side of the screen/a window?
think he's referring to the folder list in an open finder window, and having the toolbar icons right above that list.

now it's time for the OP to return, let us know if you were able to get the window as you want.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I'm referring to an open Finder window.
See the attached image.
I cannot move the buttons to the left (shown by blue arrow). The red space cannot be removed or shrunk. "Customize Toolbar" does not allow me to change this.
So for example if I want to share a file, I highlight it at left but then have to move the cursor all the way across and hit the share button on the right hand side. Previously the buttons were right above the filenames.
Even if I manually grab the corner of the window and reduce its width, a bunch of space still remains and the buttons are still right-justified.

At the bottom is a Mojave window showing how it has been in all previous OS versions: compact and convenient.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 23.46.15 copy.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 00.00.51 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mihirdelirious

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
you could right-click the file, and select 'share'...
Sure. That was just one example of many.
If I want to change to column view, or add tags, or do any of the functions that the other buttons are for the issue remains...if I wanted to use keyboard shortcuts or context menus for everything it would be a lot to remember and there would be no point in having buttons in the first place!

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
The filenames are aligned on the left side of the window. But the buttons are now on the right.
I just added an image above to help illustrate the question more clearly.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I'm referring to an open Finder window.
See the attached image.
I cannot move the buttons to the left (shown by blue arrow). The red space cannot be removed or shrunk. "Customize Toolbar" does not allow me to change this.
So for example if I want to share a file, I highlight it at left but then have to move the cursor all the way across and hit the share button on the right hand side. Previously the buttons were right above the filenames.
Even if I manually grab the corner of the window and reduce its width, a bunch of space still remains and the buttons are still right-justified.

At the bottom is a Mojave window showing how it has been in all previous OS versions: compact and convenient.

View attachment 2005610 View attachment 2005618
Did you add any extensions or anything< I don't have that. In fact, I don't see this is an issue, but if I did, go on like some other posters suggested, customize toolbar and add multiple spaces to the right of your icons, it forces them to the left. But no, no red bad for me.

Just to verify it works, I just did it, everything s fine. Now I just have to undo it, cause I liked it the way it was

Reactions: pavinder

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Did you add any extensions or anything< I don't have that. In fact, I don't see this is an issue, but if I did, go on like some other posters suggested, customize toolbar and add multiple spaces to the right of your icons, it forces them to the left. But no, no red bad for me.

Just to verify it works, I just did it, everything s fine. Now I just have to undo it, cause I liked it the way it was
Ah yes, added 30 spaces to the right of the menu...much nicer. Thanks!

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Do you need to
The filenames are aligned on the left side of the window. But the buttons are now on the right.
You can "fix" the toolbar layout by adding spaces, but when you view in column mode (like your screenshot), you run the danger of having file names on the right and icons on the left...

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 11.25.48 AM.png

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks, I misunderstood when I first read this...I've added a bunch of spaces to the right of all the buttons and that's done the job.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Do you need to

You can "fix" the toolbar layout by adding spaces, but when you view in column mode (like your screenshot), you run the danger of having file names on the right and icons on the left...

View attachment 2005625
Yes, good point. I've just added enough spaces to mimic the Mojave alignment, which seems a good balance. I usually don't have any more than 3 or 4 columns showing at most.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
But what if you're deeper in a folder structure? Then the files/folders would be more on the right side. But like already suggeste, I would just use the context menu more if I were you.

Reactions: pavinder
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.