Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
MBA 128GB, OSX High Sierra 10.13 supplementary update installed.

I have the 2TB iCloud storage plan.

Finder windows now no longer show disk space in the status bar, only the amount of iCloud space I have. (currently just under 1.5TB).

I find this very annoying as I often move large files around in the Finder, and I want to know if I have 5, 10, 20GB of SSD space left. I've tried to bring back the SSD space but there seems to be no option to do so.

Finder windows for folders held on external drives still show the disk free space, but not for folders held on the internal SSD.

Have tried
- View menu
- Apple-,
- Apple-j
- Sysprefs / iCloud
- Sysprefs / General

Have searched online but can't find further info on this issue.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
MBA 128GB, OSX High Sierra 10.13 supplementary update installed.

I have the 2TB iCloud storage plan.

Finder windows now no longer show disk space in the status bar, only the amount of iCloud space I have. (currently just under 1.5TB).

I find this very annoying as I often move large files around in the Finder, and I want to know if I have 5, 10, 20GB of SSD space left. I've tried to bring back the SSD space but there seems to be no option to do so.

Finder windows for folders held on external drives still show the disk free space, but not for folders held on the internal SSD.

Have tried
- View menu
- Apple-,
- Apple-j
- Sysprefs / iCloud
- Sysprefs / General

Have searched online but can't find further info on this issue.

Any screen capture? That may be easier for us to understand what's actually happening.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Any screen capture? That may be easier for us to understand what's actually happening.

Sorry for late response. Here are screen shots - I had to scrub of identifying information:

- first one is of a folder on my PNY-128GB external drive, and status bar shows 11.09GB disk space free.

- Second one is of my desktop, and status bar only shows the amount of iCloud space I have - 2.05TB. (No idea why it's showing more than 2TB)

I want the status bar for folders on my internal drive to go back to to showing the amount of space on my internal drive, which it did before I started the iCloud 2TB plan:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 11.11.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 11.00.51.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have that "manage disk space" option chosen?
That moves stuff off of your hard drive and "up to" the cloud?

That could have something to do with it.

Personally, I would NEVER do anything like this.
I want to be the one "in control" of my files and my drive, and what goes where.
No iCloud for me... ever.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Do you have that "manage disk space" option chosen?
That moves stuff off of your hard drive and "up to" the cloud?

That could have something to do with it.

Personally, I would NEVER do anything like this.
I want to be the one "in control" of my files and my drive, and what goes where.
No iCloud for me... ever.

If you have a 128GB SSD onboard and 400GB of files to sling around then not a lot of choice. 64GB iPhones don't help either. Also it's working very well for my partner with the same setup who absolutely doesn't want to be juggling different drives.

Erulezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
The Netherlands
Desktop & the Documents folder are synced to iCloud, that's why it's showing you the free space on iCloud. If you select another folder like Applications or Downloads it shows you the free space on your internal SSD because that folder is not synced with iCloud.

As far as I know there is no option to show both the iCloud and internal SSD free space..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.