Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
All, this has been driving me nuts (along with the crackling audio issue) on my 2019 MBP 16".

When I first open a new window, usually my HD, the window size is abnormally wide. So in list view I double click the divider between the Name and Date Modified column so the column width snaps to the minimum size needed to display the longest file or folder name. I then physically drag the right side of the window to re-size. I do a cmd-J and click use as defaults to make sure the width is saved.

Sometimes this new window sized is saved and used throughout the session. Sometimes.

But every time I resize, the old abnormally wide window size is back. Aaargh!

The old school rebuild desktop and other options aren't available. Zapping PRAM doesn't fix it.

Is there anything I can do? What am I missing? Thanks for any help in restoring my sanity!

Reactions: arefbe

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I should have mentioned -- latest Big Sur 11.6

Also tried the cmd-opt drag trick to remember window size and no luck. I may have to try the delete .DS_Store trick when I have time; IIRC that didn't fix the issue with previous versions of Big Sur.

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Lack of support for this basic question is a legitimate grievance.

I wish I could do more than 2nd your request for an answer. I might resort to Apple Community to ask the question.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Or where it was last in the desktop. This only happens with drives that contain an OS. Others SSDs do not behave that way. Personally I HATE it?

Lou

swartzfeger

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Lack of support for this basic question is a legitimate grievance.

I wish I could do more than 2nd your request for an answer. I might resort to Apple Community to ask the question.

And now still persists into Monterey. Along with the distorting audio that's yet to be fixed for the 16" 2019 MBP.

• Haha
Reactions: danallen

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Does Apple Community count?

I have the impression I am not on support from Apple, running CMP.

You're right. Apple community was not what I was referring to when I asked whether Apple support couldn't or wouldn't help.

You mentioned legitimate grievances with regard to not getting support. Maybe I'm defining "legitimate grievances" differently than you. I would only have such grievances against people who had some responsibility to provide support. Such people don't contribute to this forum or the Apple Community forum.

Just to make sure you know - Apple does provide software support free of charge even if one is out of warranty. Apple Care and the initial warranty are only to supply hardware support. I was surprised to learn this fact during an earlier call with support.

The nice thing about Apple support is that they will monitor one's screen to witness the problem. The OP's issue is could be abnormal behavior that might be possible to duplicate while they are watching. I don't mean to promise they would solve it, but they would definitely make an effort.

The topic you raised in the Apple community forums (very well done, by the way) discusses a request for a feature. That feature, if it had existed, *might* have helped the OP, but the OP's issue might be different.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I have an issue where my main boot drive Finder window position and size gets reset after each restart. Annoying because I have to then resize and place the window again. Luckily I only restart once every fortnight or so, but still, it's annoying. The issue has persisted since Mojave (currently on Monterey). I don't have this issue with any of the my other drives - they all remember their last position and size.

I have previously deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file using
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
and have deleted the .DS_Store previously, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.