Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Hi,

I've spent all day today, and a lot of yesterday scouring internet stores in the UK trying to find this flipping lense! No one seems to have it in stock!

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is Nikon no longer making the lense? Are they ever planning to ship some more to the UK? If anyone in the UK has the lense, can they tell me how they came across it?

Its frustrating because, as I'm planning to get a D50 w/out the kit lense, there's no point in buying that camera until I can find this lense.

Thanks!

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
FleurDuMal said:
Hi,

I've spent all day today, and a lot of yesterday scouring internet stores in the UK trying to find this flipping lense! No one seems to have it in stock!

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is Nikon no longer making the lense? Are they ever planning to ship some more to the UK? If anyone in the UK has the lense, can they tell me how they came across it?

Its frustrating because, as I'm planning to get a D50 w/out the kit lense, there's no point in buying that camera until I can find this lense.

Thanks!

i do not live in the UK (US), but this might still help.

they certainly do make the lens, it is just very very popular. i decided i wanted one about two weeks ago, and got it a week later, so it is possible.

I used pricegrabber, which normally didnt show any availability. then one store (17th st photo) showed availability on pricegrabber, but not on their own website, so i called them. they had a few for $699, and it arrived the very next day. btw, i love the lens, it is completely worth it.

other options: i have noticed a couple being sold on nikonians.com and nikoncafe.com, you might want to check those periodically, the sellers tend to be very reliable.

and of course ebay, i have heard the prices there are coming down a bit (they were going into the $1100 a while back, now down the the high $800 i have heard - remember it has a $669 official price tag).

good luck

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
most of the hong kong sellers are actually quite reputable, and yes, they do have many many copies of this lens in hong kong. that said, they tend to be very very expensive, and their is no warranty for it, no matter what they might say. not that there is a warranty for most of the lens you would find online, save from nikon authorized dealers.

it is hard to find, but it is possible. in the last few days, several of the major US sellers have gotten in shipments of between 3 and 20 or so, and they tend to be gone within hours, but persistence pays.

the nikon SLR forum on dpreview is very active, and people (myself included) have posted notices of when and where the find the lens available. there is a good international participation as well.

however, as good as this lens is, you might want to consider the 17-55 dx instead, since they can be similar in price, and it is a much higher quality lens. you do of course lose a lot of range, so maybe a telephoto prime. otherwise, if you are in a pinch, get the 18-70 lens that is widely available for $200 it is optically amazing. again, if you really need the long range, pair it with a long telephoto prime for the time being.

good luck

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wouldn't go with any of the Hong Kong ones unless I know the store. Take it from someone who knows what it's like over there. ;)

The prices in HK can be 5-10% less than in America, but most things are the same price as at B&H. It really depends on what you're looking for.

If the eBay store is a place like HK Supplies (ie: your 3rd link), then I'll believe they're reputable. Otherwise, you really need to be there, and even then, there are 3 very famous, reputable camera shops in HK, and around another 5 that people go to (but don't get great advice from) that everyone knows and trusts, and those are the 3 I'd go to. They also have great prices for those not from the US or UK. ;)

Another one is Tim Cheung, but they don't have that lens on their online store, so forget them. I'd be skeptical otherwise. Nikon isn't making them fast enough (possibly on purpose?), and so how did one guy get 10 of these lenses, possibly more?

If you're from America (the OP is not), just wait and buy it in America. It can't get cheaper, really.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ipacmm said:
Last I heard that lens is on a major back order and is really hard to find even here in America.

Yep, you are right. And I assume the same world wide. For those overseas you might be able to snag one from the US and still get service from your local Nikon distributer. Check with them.

Here in the US, Nikon USA requires that the product either 1) be a US import item (my 18-200VR has a USXXXXX serial number), or 2) be able to prove that you were overseas for the purchase.

As to snagging one from the US, you have to be lucky to find someone on the web that is not pre-selling them, and being quick on the buy.

Forget eBay, for any Nikon distributer may require a purchase from an authorized Nikon dealer for the warranty to be valid. This is the case in the US, you must provide a receipt for US purchase from a authorized Nikon dealer in order for the warranty to be valid.

I am sure that in other countries, other laws may prevail - and I will soon be corrected. :)

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
thumb said:
i do not live in the UK (US), but this might still help.

they certainly do make the lens, it is just very very popular. i decided i wanted one about two weeks ago, and got it a week later, so it is possible.

I used pricegrabber, which normally didnt show any availability. then one store (17th st photo) showed availability on pricegrabber, but not on their own website, so i called them. they had a few for $699, and it arrived the very next day. btw, i love the lens, it is completely worth it.

other options: i have noticed a couple being sold on nikonians.com and nikoncafe.com, you might want to check those periodically, the sellers tend to be very reliable.

and of course ebay, i have heard the prices there are coming down a bit (they were going into the $1100 a while back, now down the the high $800 i have heard - remember it has a $669 official price tag).

good luck

$699? On their website, its listed for 799. If its 699 i might want to give them a call cause i'm looking for this.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
My shop had been at $699 for a long time. We just raised the price to $719 for what ever reason that my bosses decided upon.

For my shop pre-pays get priority. We are still at the mercy of Nikon for shipments. But it was a pre-payment (IIRC) on the 105VR that Clix got hers through my shop.

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Malfoy said:
$699? On their website, its listed for 799. If its 699 i might want to give them a call cause i'm looking for this.

yeah, i think they raised it to 799. after i got mine, i posted on dpreview that they had some, within 1 hour they sold that batch out, raised the price 100, and were waiting for more.

btw, if you really want, and dont care about the warranty, pay regular attention to the for sale sections of fredmiranda.com, nikoncafe.com and nikonians.org. they do come up, and are probably more reliable than ebayers.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
For my shop pre-pays get priority. We are still at the mercy of Nikon for shipments. But it was a pre-payment (IIRC) on the 105VR that Clix got hers through my shop.

You recall correctly! Got my D200 and 18-200mm VR that way, too..... I heartily recommend this method, as then the customer doesn't need to spend a lot of time online or on the phone chasing down whatever it is he/she wants.... do the preorder and when the item arrives at the shop, it's a done deal! When I preordered my D200 I received it on December 15th while others were moaning about not being able to get their hands on one and many were complaining about problems with B&H, which wasn't taking preorders but had told people they'd notify them by email when the camera came in. Apparently there was some glitch and even before many people got an email the first few callers -- some lucky few who just happened to see on the B&H website that the D200 was now available -- snatched them up and that was that. Many people had to wait quite a long time before the second round of D200's became available.

Pre-ordered the 18-200mm VR and was tickled when it arrived just a few days before I was to take off for SF and MacWorld....

Yes, it definitely pays off to pre-order something that you know you want and which is likely to be in great demand. I ordered the D200 totally sight unseen, just knew what the specs were from Nikon's description when they announced it in November, but I was confident that this camera was going to more than meet my expectations and I'm happy to say that it did. I was also confident that had there been any problems with the camera that Penn would have taken care of things for me.

Pre-ordering is the way to go if one has a local camera shop that does things that way.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
You recall correctly! Got my D200 and 18-200mm VR that way, too..... I heartily recommend this method, as then the customer doesn't need to spend a lot of time online or on the phone chasing down whatever it is he/she wants.... do the preorder and when the item arrives at the shop, it's a done deal!

Sad to say that pre-paid orders are still in for a long wait at my shop. :mad:

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
my girlfriend ordered her 18-200mm back on april 18, 2006 and its not supposed to arrive until july 23, 2006. this was all done through ritzcamera.com

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Roberts Imaging is still among the few that are advertising the lens for its original price of $669.97. I was on the waiting list for about 3 months, but I was not in a hurry to get one. I was very pleased with myself for not spending a dime more than the original price! :) Patience is a virtue. Patience is also less expensive!

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think we have a few here... :)
The thing is you should come and buy it here in Argentina :p (we obviously cannot sell to the US).

It is an amazing lens and crazily backordered.
All lenses are in short supply lately *I think it has something to do with Nikon prioritizing the instrument division (ever wonder what intel uses to manufacture some of the chips? nikon lenses) *

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
maxi said:
I think we have a few here... :)
The thing is you should come and buy it here in Argentina :p (we obviously cannot sell to the US).

It is an amazing lens and crazily backordered.
All lenses are in short supply lately *I think it has something to do with Nikon prioritizing the instrument division (ever wonder what intel uses to manufacture some of the chips? nikon lenses) *

Ok Im a bit hazy on US relations with Argentina. Why can't you sell it to us?

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Malfoy said:
Ok Im a bit hazy on US relations with Argentina. Why can't you sell it to us?
Nothing fancy... just that we are authorized resellers for south america, not the US.
And one shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, right? :)

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
maxi said:
Nothing fancy... just that we are authorized resellers for south america, not the US.

Fair enough. Can you buy one and then sell it to me anyhow? Things like warranties arent that important to me. I have D200 that I can't use because I have no lens. It's quite sad.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
maxi said:

Right you are. BTW, what sort of price do you all have down there for this lens?

The reason I am asking, given the value of our respective currencies, I was wondering just how much of a bargain it would be for someone visiting to buy down there?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Malfoy said:
Fair enough. Can you buy one and then sell it to me anyhow? Things like warranties arent that important to me. I have D200 that I can't use because I have no lens. It's quite sad.

It could be a situation that we have my shop, we do not have the proper licenses and such to ship overseas.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Chip NoVaMac said:
Right you are. BTW, what sort of price do you all have down there for this lens?

The reason I am asking, given the value of our respective currencies, I was wondering just how much of a bargain it would be for someone visiting to buy down there?

We have it at around 925 USD. Everything (imported) tends to be a lot more expensive here, import taxes for cameras are around 20-30%, on top of that, you have all the logistical expenses AND a 21% vat :mad: :mad:

For example, I'm buying a macbook today... I'm paying 1500 USD for the 1.83 model :eek: AND I'm getting a discount because we actually have bussiness relations with the apple center people and they sell it to me with reseller prices.

So, in short... the currency exchange is great for you if you want to buy anything made in Argentina (meat, wines, etc)... you can buy electronics and such... but it will almost always be much more expensive than in the US.

What we have though, that many Nikon resellers (specially in Europe) don't is some very specific accesories that are discontinued, but we still have in stock. We have F2 through F5 focusing screens, some new FM2 (in fact the other day I kept one for myself), A new Nikonos V (green) with it's SB-105, etc etc.

And about me shipping overseas, that's a big no-no... because as it was said earlier, every region has it's authorized reseller, and the US is a different story alltogether. We can't do it, because we want to be loyal, we have excellent relations and you cannot risk all of this for a sale :)

But if you ever come to Argentina (which I definitely recommend), just come visit me and we can work something out :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
maxi said:
We have it at around 925 USD. Everything (imported) tends to be a lot more expensive here, import taxes for cameras are around 20-30%, on top of that, you have all the logistical expenses AND a 21% vat :mad: :mad:

But if you ever come to Argentina (which I definitely recommend), just come visit me and we can work something out :)

Thanks for the heads up. Various taxes does seem to take its toll. :( I too work for a dealer here in the US, so I might do better (and stay more friendly with my US distributer

Actually I am thinking of a 2 to 4 week trip to Argentina (using Buenos Aires as my base) in January or February of next year. Got the idea from a travel article in the Washington Post about how cheap one can live it up in Buenos Aires. Furnished studio apartments for short term rental for under $400US a month IIRC.

Be on the look out for a Community thread post on my interest and further questions about Buenos Aires and Argentina.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks for the heads up. Various taxes does seem to take its toll. :( I too work for a dealer here in the US, so I might do better (and stay more friendly with my US distributer

Actually I am thinking of a 2 to 4 week trip to Argentina (using Buenos Aires as my base) in January or February of next year. Got the idea from a travel article in the Washington Post about how cheap one can live it up in Buenos Aires. Furnished studio apartments for short term rental for under $400US a month IIRC.

Be on the look out for a Community thread post on my interest and further questions about Buenos Aires and Argentina.

If you bring US dollars, living here is cheap!
the universal measure: a MC Donalds combo (medium fries, medium coke)is about $10... that's roughly U$$ 3.33 :)
I went on holidays to the south.. to Mendoza, which is like the center of everything wine related here and took some nice pictures, I can post them if you like :eek:

so yeah, feel free to ask me anything about the country, it's really beatiful (and cheap :rolleyes: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.