Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
So last night was my first attempt of taking pictures for a live band
The Band is Nova Vega (spanish rock)

sorry they are a lot of photos, so can you please take the time
to look at the rest on my deviantArt

Comments and Critique is highly appreciated, negative or positive.
Thank You.

Bassist_For_Nova_Vega_2_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg

Nova_Vega_Drummer_8_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg

Please check out the rest at My DeviantArt
Band Myspace

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It's best to post no more than two and give the link to your DA account. That way folks are more likley to view at least some and the mods won't pull it.

What did you shoot this with?

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I like the ones on your DA account better. I have included them. They are the most expressive of the lot. Bands are tough to shoot unless you have a fast lens. The flash leaves harsh shadows and double images in some. I don't know if there is a mirror or stage lights in the background, but they distract from the musicians. Try your next shoot with available light and see what happens.

Dale

Attachments

• Guitarist_For_Nova_Vega_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg
    Guitarist_For_Nova_Vega_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Drummer_For_Nova_Vega_7_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg
    Drummer_For_Nova_Vega_7_by_iSeePhotoDesign.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 62

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Yep

I like the ones on your DA account better. I have included them. They are the most expressive of the lot. Bands are tough to shoot unless you have a fast lens. The flash leaves harsh shadows and double images in some. I don't know if there is a mirror or stage lights in the background, but they distract from the musicians. Try your next shoot with available light and see what happens.

Dale

Definately try to not use a flash when shooting live music. Dont be afraid to crank your ISO, even if the image turns out all red, you can fix that later.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
did you get paid for this? I am assuming since you said it is your first gig. I think that will help with feedback as well...

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
Well i tried to just go in to TV mode and set time shutter speed, but it was either to dark (faster speeds) or too much movement in the slower speeds

the only available light was the garage lights.

No i didnt get paid because the drummer is my cousin, but they told everyone
i charged them so no one would ask for free photos...

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Sometimes using flash works out very well and it looks like you did a good job. I like the drummer shots the best.

Just use flash very sparingly as a way to make the picture more interesting. Don't start strobing all over the place (i.e. snapping 10 successive photos in a row with flash and annoy everyone).

Join Flickr and post/ask for critiques on the concert photo groups. Or just have a look at the FAQ about Concert Photography

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
Sometimes using flash works out very well and it looks like you did a good job. I like the drummer shots the best.
thank you :D
seems like bands like these kinds of photos to show energy

Just use flash very sparingly as a way to make the picture more interesting. Don't start strobing all over the place (i.e. snapping 10 successive photos in a row with flash and annoy everyone).
do u suggest i get a slave flash and just use that from a different angle instead
of using the built in flash?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi, again.

The problem with built-in flashes on any camera is that they point straight at the subject and cause harsh shadows.
an external flash unit has the capability of tilting the head so that it provides indirect light. Bounce flash. They also have diffusers that fit over the front and soften the light. Borrow or rent one before you decide to buy anything.

One of the problems with this shoot is that is in front of a garage and the inside lights muck everything up by competing with the camera. If this was a stage shoot, the lighting would be much more photo-friendly.

This is a film shoot I did of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in 1970. Nikon F with an f1.2 lens and 800 asa film. Hand-held from the audience.

Dale

Attachments

• CSNY.jpg
    CSNY.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 84

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
do u suggest i get a slave flash and just use that from a different angle instead of using the built in flash?

Get a bigger flash with a remote cord that will let you use the flash connected to the camera at remote angles and with a bounce card or soft box.

Some will work as a slave flash, but some slave flashes are triggered by another flash and another photogrpaher may set off your flash. The infrared triggered models are pretty cool. (There are also infrared attachments that can turn any flash into a remote flash.)

The built in flash (pop up) gives the hard edged shadows and makes your photos look amaturish.

The bigger flash guns also have lots more power than a built in flash which will give you a better exposure and allow you to back off from the subject.

Also, check your settings. In the shots on MRs it looks like your shutter speed is too slow. (Some people like that... experiment). Try cranking the shutter speed up to at least 1/60th of a second to get rid of the blurring.

Also, what were your ISO settings?

(Dale beat me to a lot of my points, but I'm leaving them any way... I've been typing for about 15 minutes off and on to make this post...)

Sir SpemzR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Inland Empire
Yea, a lot of the photography i have seen of other bands, they come out with those blurs and highlights and everyone likes em, but to all their own.

Next time ill try using different settings, if you look at the ones here it shows the settings for each photo :D

Has anyone used one of these ? Flash Slave Trigger?

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
i like the top pic.... bottom not so much...

Yea, a lot of the photography i have seen of other bands, they come out with those blurs and highlights and everyone likes em, but to all their own.

Next time ill try using different settings, if you look at the ones here it shows the settings for each photo :D

sounds good... cept... not for CANON... shucks:confused:

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
i like the top pic.... bottom not so much...

sounds good... cept... not for CANON... shucks:confused:

There are plenty available for Canon. I personally don't use the $20 stuff you find on eBay, but I do know you can find some that will do the job for that price. That one looks...bulky? Dunno.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005

I have an old one of similar design but I never got good results from it.

They cost alot more, but Wein slave triggers are pretty good. My studio lights have it built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.