Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015

4:04, 4:17, 4:20
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 8.33.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 8.34.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 8.34.52 PM.png

Growlernz

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
The card still has to render 60% more pixels, it doesn't just leave them empty. It's not comparing a 1080p 15" screen to a 1080p 27" screen. It's just not apples for apples and not a fair comparison.

Reactions: Ezcompane

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015
Your screen needs to be the same size
Size? More like resolution.

breaking news, computer with 60% less pixels to render wins benchmark tests.

The card still has to render 60% more pixels, it doesn't just leave them empty. It's not comparing a 1080p 15" screen to a 1080p 27" screen. It's just not apples for apples and not a fair comparison.

Why would the #pixels matter for the second and third tests, which are run at fixed resolution on all devices?

These screens particular resolution doesn't matter when the benchmarks are made at fixed resolution, like duh...

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
No, it scales the content to the size of the screen. The resolution is the same, so the same number of pixels are being pushed by each card, so it is an exact apple to apple comparison.

Now, that the remainder of the specs are not the same, THAT may affect the overall result.

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015
Also i5 to i7
The i7 have hyperthreading but a lot lower clock speeds, in this case I don't think that would add up to that big difference. Also there is so much yt videos showing in most cases hyperthreading or more ram after 8GB don't make too noticeable differences.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Also i5 to i7
Yes, would i5 v 7 make a difference?

Hard to believe the 5 series is a less powerful chip, although I am sure we can debate what constitutes "powerful" and whether benchmarks are the best indicator of power.
[doublepost=1497004181][/doublepost]
The i7 have hyperthreading but a lot lower clock speeds, in this case I don't think that would add up to that big difference. Also there is so much yt videos showing in most cases hyperthreading or more ram after 8GB don't make too noticeable differences.
Whoops...should probably read to the end before I post....

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Actually, comments in this thread tell me that people who are buying Apple computers know zero about computers at all, and what they do.

Yeah, Radeon Pro 560 is slower in the same resolution in the same Game, than last years Macbook Pro because of Fusion Drive, or 8 vs 16 GB of RAM.

I have never laughed so much in my life. Thank you guys.

The tests are not GPU bound, but CPU bound. Why would you test RP 560 and 460 if you have two different CPUs, which one of them is having much lower throughput. Its even funnier when you will look at comparison with iMac with i5 and AMD Radeon M390. The same framerate, and both GPUs have the same or similar 1024/1280 GCN cores, in core count. Core i5 in 2017 even in 1080p is 90% of the time at 95% load on all cores. Whereas when you will look at Core i7 it still has room. Ryzen CPUs, their reviews and analysis have opened up minds people about this.

Its not Radeon Pro which is slower. It is the CPU that is not able to push enough data to GPU, to feed it.

kblbn86

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2016
Actually, comments in this thread tell me that people who are buying Apple computers know zero about computers at all, and what they do.

Yeah, Radeon Pro 560 is slower in the same resolution in the same Game, than last years Macbook Pro because of Fusion Drive, or 8 vs 16 GB of RAM.

I have never laughed so much in my life. Thank you guys.

The tests are not GPU bound, but CPU bound. Why would you test RP 560 and 460 if you have two different CPUs, which one of them is having much lower throughput. Its even funnier when you will look at comparison with iMac with i5 and AMD Radeon M390. The same framerate, and both GPUs have the same or similar 1024/1280 GCN cores, in core count. Core i5 in 2017 even in 1080p is 90% of the time at 95% load on all cores. Whereas when you will look at Core i7 it still has room. Ryzen CPUs, their reviews and analysis have opened up minds people about this.

Its not Radeon Pro which is slower. It is the CPU that is not able to push enough data to GPU, to feed it.

I second this post.

CPU here seems to create a bottleneck for RP 560. Especially @ 1080p and below.

Fusion Drive and RAM's effect is negligible imho.

Though @1440p and especially @ 4K it will be GPUs that create the bottleneck.

Reactions: klatox

Torgo81

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Amsterdam
So if a 3.4ghz i5 is a bottleneck for the 560 already, then what about an i5 with the 580 in the 27 inch? In other threads everyone is suggesting that the i7 is not needed at all except for a few specific use cases but reading the above it would seem that the i7 would help maximise the potential of the 580.

On the other hand there are plenty of systems like the Dell Alienware that use an i3 with a 1060 type card, so how come there is no bottleneck there.

Alittle confusing to be honest!

Reactions: Darajavahus

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The problem is with testing methodology. They used very old software that relies in the first on CPU performance to test GPU performance. What is more, they have tested in low resolution, medium Settings for example Tomb Raider, which also is old game, and heavily relies on CPU performance.

What they should have done is crank up the resolution to 1080p, run the games on highest detail settings and THEN compare GPU performance. That is how you create GPU bottleneck.

Everywhere when you will have to play with high detail, high resolution settings you will be running into GPU bottleneck. Core i5 in higher details/high resolutions will not be bottlenecking RP 580, because the GPU will not have resources to be extracted otherwise.

This whole situation just shows two things. The complete and utter incompetence of the reviewers of the iMac, and complete lack of knowledge of users, who jump into conclusions about the hardware without even understanding what is going on.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
These screens particular resolution doesn't matter when the benchmarks are made at fixed resolution, like duh...

They matter if the final image still needs to go though the compositor, which it kind of does. High Sierra comes with a optimisation they call "Direct to Display" which avoids this, but its not on yet on 10.12

Reactions: Scary Spice

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Wow so much mis-information in this thread.

An i5 desktop cpu isn't going to bottleneck a 560 ffs. What are we benchmarking at 1024x768?

We need people to actually benchmark and monitor clocks to see what is going on. Is the 560 throttling? Is it a driver problem/same drivers?

I have a 460 and if anyone want to compare with a 560 I can help them run through some benchmarks to see what is going on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.