Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekidat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Looking to buy my very first iPad for use with Procreate (learning to draw), content consumption, emails, Slack, reading, notes, emails mostly. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just can't make up my mind. I already use a Windows 10 setup for work with 2 monitors, so this would be a secondary device for after hours or on days with a lighter workload.

iPad Air 4 256GB: $639

iPad Pro 11" 2020 128GB - Apple Refurbished: $609

M1 iPad Pro 11" 128GB: I've seen this go on sale for as low as $600-650 earlier this year with a B&H Photo deal. I can wait a while if a deal like that can pop up again, but don't want to count on anything.

I know all the feature differences between the Air and the Pro and could accept the lower specs if the price is right. Any thoughts?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Looking to buy my very first iPad for use with Procreate (learning to draw), content consumption, emails, Slack, reading, notes, emails mostly. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just can't make up my mind. I already use a Windows 10 setup for work with 2 monitors, so this would be a secondary device for after hours or on days with a lighter workload.

iPad Air 4 256GB: $639

iPad Pro 11" 2020 128GB - Apple Refurbished: $609

M1 iPad Pro 11" 128GB: I've seen this go on sale for as low as $600-650 earlier this year with a B&H Photo deal. I can wait a while if a deal like that can pop up again, but don't want to count on anything.

I know all the feature differences between the Air and the Pro and could accept the lower specs if the price is right. Any thoughts?
As someone whose tried all three devices for Art, I guess if you could wait for sales on the M1 Pro, that’s probably a good idea as the more memory you have for Procreate the better. iOS15 will eventually allow for apps to use more memory. If you’re using the iPad for work too, then an M1 would probably be best.

I‘ve used Procreate on every iPad. I’m happy with the Air myself. I would not buy a refurb.

If you’re in the United States, Best Buy and Apple will price match (Apple will price match up to 10%).

Anyway, just my opinion. Procreate is a great app, I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolpher

thekidat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Bay Area, CA
As someone whose tried all three devices for Art, I guess if you could wait for sales on the M1 Pro, that’s probably a good idea as the more memory you have for Procreate the better. iOS15 will eventually allow for apps to use more memory. If you’re using the iPad for work too, then an M1 would probably be best.

I‘ve Procreate on every iPad. I’m happy with the Air myself. I would not buy a refurb.

If you’re in the United States, Best Buy and Apple will price match (Apple will price match up to 10%).

Anyway, just my opinion. Procreate is a great app, I love it.
Thanks for your response. I think I may have oversold how much I will be using this for work. This is mainly an after hours device. But since it's something I will own for years to come, I can't shake the feeling of being something "older". But I know for my use case I don't need the latest and greatest.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My wife and I both have 11" iPad Pros now, mine is 2nd generation and she has the M1. Both with 256GB.

There are lots of advantages to the Pro - camera (with flash), display, face ID, Center Stage, better speakers, not to mention the M1 with the latest Pro. I'm not a fan of refurbs myself but haven't tried buying one so no personal experience.

My recommendation is to get the iPad Pro. I also suggest the 256GB, particularly if you think you'll be using it for a number of years. I don't think you will have any regrets.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Thanks for your response. I think I may have oversold how much I will be using this for work. This is mainly an after hours device. But since it's something I will own for years to come, I can't shake the feeling of being something "older". But I know for my use case I don't need the latest and greatest.
An Air would be fine. ?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
For drawing, the 120hz screen is a nice bonus, if you can get the m1 on a nice sale, it’s definitely the top choice, with having 8gb of ram and a pretty big spec bump for the processor. Especially if you plan to keep this device long term

Reactions: Devyn89

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I use my iPad pretty casually but the better speakers and promotion make the pro more worth it in my opinion.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Since you have mentioned drawing and Procreate, I would go with iPad Pro - a better screen and higher refresh rate will both help, especially if you want to hold on to it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.