Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shifter25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am about to get my first MacBook Pro and I need a little bit of help from you guys.

I want it for:
  • - Mainily Photoshop CC/CS6 - usually working with A3 multi layered posters and 24MPX RAW photos
  • - Ocasionally Illustrator
  • - Ocasionally video editing - vacantions video shot in 1080p action camera (maybe in the future 4k?)
  • - Other usual tasks that won't need much performance - running PyCharm, browsing, movies, music, etc.

Why MacBook:
  • - I have an old Toshiba Ultrabook (5 years old) which is really really slow now. I am losing my patience with it and I need something new.
  • - I have a 12" MacBook (2017) at work - to run UI tests on it - and I took it home a few times, performance is really great, also MacOS experience and integration with my iPhone convienced me.

The real question for you:
- I need to choose between MBP 15 (2016 - base) and MBP 13 (2017 - 16 GB RAM). I can get them at the same price, MBP 15 maybe a little cheaper.
- I need you to help me choose between those two because:
- I don't really know if the difference between 2017 i5 from MBP 13 and 2016 i7 from MBP 15 will be really visible in my case
- I also care about protability but not so much. I chose to get a Toshiba Ultrabook (14 inch) 5 years ago but I didn't get out with it very much. I am travelling ocasionally at a cusomter in Ireland but I think I can manage to travel with 15 inch.
- On the other hand, 13 would be nice to as I am used to my 14 inch toshiba, easier and I can also connect it to an external monitor.
- Also, MBP 13 nTB is in my attention but only two usb-c seems to me too less for me. I want to charge it, connect a monitor and an external 1TB (usb-c cable on the way) hard drive.
- Also some people on youtube said that battery life and performance on the 2016 15 inch model is not as Apple states in the specs.​

- So, performance wise, which is best? 2016 MBP 15 base or 2017 MBP 13 TB with 16GB RAM? What would you get?

Thank a lot and sorry for the long post,
Florin

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The 15" is better in terms of performance by a relatively good bit. In fact unless the smaller footprint is really important I see no reason not to get the 15" model.

shifter25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
The 15" is better in terms of performance by a relatively good bit. In fact unless the smaller footprint is really important I see no reason not to get the 15" model.

Thank you for the quick answer! I was having doubts about the performance of the 2016 i7 vs 2017 i5. I taught that those two might have the same performance, but as the 2016 i7 in MBC 15 is quad core it should be way better than the 2017 i5 on MBP 13, right?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you for the quick answer! I was having doubts about the performance of the 2016 i7 vs 2017 i5. I taught that those two might have the same performance, but as the 2016 i7 in MBC 15 is quad core it should be way better than the 2017 i5 on MBP 13, right?

It's not just the cores. There are new processors that haven't gotten to the MacBookPro lineup yet, and you can get quad cores processors from Intel that can go in the 13" now. They will still perform slower than what's in the 15", because of the thermal envelope. The 15" processor is a 45W TDP chip. If I remember correctly, the 13" is 15W. That's quite a significant difference, and it translates directly into performance. And that's just the CPU. All the other components also follow suit.

shifter25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
It's not just the cores. There are new processors that haven't gotten to the MacBookPro lineup yet, and you can get quad cores processors from Intel that can go in the 13" now. They will still perform slower than what's in the 15", because of the thermal envelope. The 15" processor is a 45W TDP chip. If I remember correctly, the 13" is 15W. That's quite a significant difference, and it translates directly into performance. And that's just the CPU. All the other components also follow suit.
So, to make sure I understand right: Even if Intel's next generation CPUs will be in the future in MBP 13, the MBP 15 2016 will still be faster, right?

Bemopti123

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
So, to make sure I understand right: Even if Intel's next generation CPUs will be in the future in MBP 13, the MBP 15 2016 will still be faster, right?

Also with the 15" comes the option of discrete graphics chips, something that is integral part of processing anything graphics. I own the 15" and to be honest, 6 months of difference aside, the only thing that the newer MBPs have going for them is more efficiency. Nothing more and for some, less keyboard issues. The issues of the keyboard I have never felt were much of an issue. The older 15" touchbar model I got was discounted steeply...making it all the more worthwhile.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
If you plan to keep for a few years at least, I would go with the 15" model. The 45-watt quad-core i7 is leagues ahead of the 28-watt dual-core in the 13" Pro. The discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 450 in the case of the base 2016 15") is also WAY faster than the integrated graphics in the 2017 13" machine.

That being said, my wife has a 13" and compared to my 15", it is a good deal more portable. I was actually shocked. I'm sure the 15" would be faster for Photoshop, but I'm not sure how much of a real-world difference you would see between the two in your use case. Maybe someone else can chime in..?

Bottom line... unless portability is a major factor, I'd go for the 15" Pro. Good luck and enjoy!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
the 28-watt

28W! Thanks. I wrote in an above post it was 15W, but that's only the non-touchbar models :)

That being said, my wife has a 13" and compared to my 15", it is a good deal more portable. I was actually shocked. I'm sure the 15" would be faster for Photoshop, but I'm not sure how much of a real-world difference you would see between the two in your use case. Maybe someone else can chime in..?

Photoshop isn't that intensive on compute power. Most hardware, especially what you find in newer Macs, can handle pretty much any Photoshop situation faster than the user can. There are some very intense operations, but they are few and far between, and when you get to one of those I don't think you'll mind waiting that bit longer.

Video editing on the other hand - that'll push your hardware.

Reactions: Patcell

shifter25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Thank you everyone for your answer! I’m 95% sure that I will go for the 15” version. All my backpacks are for 15 inch laptops and weight difference is not huge.

and for some, less keyboard issues. The issues of the keyboard I have never felt were much of an issue.

What issues exactly? I have read about issues with the keyboard but I couldn’t find what the issue exactly seems to be. The keyboard on my 2017 MacBook 12” I have at work seems really good - I like it.

Thanks,
Florin

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
If you are happy with the keyboard on the 12” MacBook, you will likely enjoy the MacBook Pro keyboard.

Some reports out there of issues with the 2016 Pro. I have not had an issue with mine (albeit a 2017 model).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
28W! Thanks. I wrote in an above post it was 15W, but that's only the non-touchbar models :)

Photoshop isn't that intensive on compute power. Most hardware, especially what you find in newer Macs, can handle pretty much any Photoshop situation faster than the user can. There are some very intense operations, but they are few and far between, and when you get to one of those I don't think you'll mind waiting that bit longer.

Video editing on the other hand - that'll push your hardware.

The non touch bar model is 15 watt and has a rather poor cooling system so that’s probably not a great option for the OP.

OP from your stated use I think the 13 inch is a really good call, it’s powerful enough you can afford the 512gb ssd and 16gb ram and for home video editing it’s just fine.

For a good desktop set up at home use a hub something like this is a nice one cable solution just bring the laptop home plug it in and keep going.

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Ether...&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hootoo+usb+c+hub&psc=1

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The non touch bar model is 15 watt and has a rather poor cooling system so that’s probably not a great option for the OP.

OP from your stated use I think the 13 inch is a really good call, it’s powerful enough you can afford the 512gb ssd and 16gb ram and for home video editing it’s just fine.

For a good desktop set up at home use a hub something like this is a nice one cable solution just bring the laptop home plug it in and keep going.

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Ether...&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hootoo+usb+c+hub&psc=1

But with the fact that the OP said the 15" will be even a tad cheaper than the 13" I see no reason to pick the 13" with its substantially lower performance. Will the 13" model do the trick? Sure, but the 15" is nicer IMO

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
But with the fact that the OP said the 15" will be even a tad cheaper than the 13" I see no reason to pick the 13" with its substantially lower performance. Will the 13" model do the trick? Sure, but the 15" is nicer IMO
I tent to agree... unless portability is of utmost concern.

Not that the 15” is a porker by any stretch...

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

- I also care about protability but not so much. I chose to get a Toshiba Ultrabook (14 inch) 5 years ago but I didn't get out with it very much. I am travelling ocasionally at a cusomter in Ireland but I think I can manage to travel with 15 inch.
- On the other hand, 13 would be nice to as I am used to my 14 inch toshiba, easier and I can also connect it to an external monitor.

From the the original post it seems portability is a consideration, nothing the OP says suggests a 15 inch is what is needed, hence in my considered opinion the 13 inch is probably a better option. Hey thats a decision only they can make, when they weigh everything up but don’t underestimate the 13 inch machines (non touch bar aside) my 2013 13 inch is still all the computer I need with a similar use case and a little casual gaming.

Christopher_Tucci

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am about to get my first MacBook Pro and I need a little bit of help from you guys.

I want it for:
  • - Mainily Photoshop CC/CS6 - usually working with A3 multi layered posters and 24MPX RAW photos
  • - Ocasionally Illustrator
  • - Ocasionally video editing - vacantions video shot in 1080p action camera (maybe in the future 4k?)
  • - Other usual tasks that won't need much performance - running PyCharm, browsing, movies, music, etc.

Why MacBook:
  • - I have an old Toshiba Ultrabook (5 years old) which is really really slow now. I am losing my patience with it and I need something new.
  • - I have a 12" MacBook (2017) at work - to run UI tests on it - and I took it home a few times, performance is really great, also MacOS experience and integration with my iPhone convienced me.

The real question for you:
- I need to choose between MBP 15 (2016 - base) and MBP 13 (2017 - 16 GB RAM). I can get them at the same price, MBP 15 maybe a little cheaper.
- I need you to help me choose between those two because:
- I don't really know if the difference between 2017 i5 from MBP 13 and 2016 i7 from MBP 15 will be really visible in my case
- Also, MBP 13 nTB is in my attention but only two usb-c seems to me too less for me. I want to charge it, connect a monitor and an external 1TB (usb-c cable on the way) hard drive.
- Also some people on youtube said that battery life and performance on the 2016 15 inch model is not as Apple states in the specs.​

- So, performance wise, which is best? 2016 MBP 15 base or 2017 MBP 13 TB with 16GB RAM? What would you get?

Thank a lot and sorry for the long post,
Florin
[doublepost=1516972168][/doublepost]Giving the what you would like to work on, the other difference in hardware to consider is a dual core vs a quad core. the quad should average 50 to 75 performance boost. I would also make sure to get at least a 512 drive not the 256 in the SD drive. best wishes and hope this is helpful.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
If you plan to keep for a few years at least, I would go with the 15" model. The 45-watt quad-core i7 is leagues ahead of the 28-watt dual-core in the 13" Pro. The discrete GPU (Radeon Pro 450 in the case of the base 2016 15") is also WAY faster than the integrated graphics in the 2017 13" machine.

Bottom line... unless portability is a major factor, I'd go for the 15" Pro. Good luck and enjoy!
The base 2015 only outperforms the 2017 13” with heavy use. I agree wouldn’t notice much for everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.