Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Ok, so we just had midsummer and I was out in the summer cottage. while balancing taking care of the kids and resting, I took some shots with my new Sigma 105mm Macro.
I would love some C&C but i am more interested in knowing two things:
1. how to increase the DoF so that the frog would be more in focus, for example (its F3.5 but at F10 there was no noticeable difference really)
2. How to shoot insects closer ad how to get them to a point you want? I was thinking of some sugar water or something and then with a remote control shoot when a fly is there but I wouldn't know if its in focus.

Any ideas and techniques or book recommendations are really appreciated (and the C & C)

//F

Attachments

• _DSC0437.jpg
    _DSC0437.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 104
  • _DSC0216.jpg
    _DSC0216.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 80

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Your DOF question is best answered by learning the effects of DOF. For example, you're going to have a certain focal distance when you shoot at say 2.8 versus 4. Aside from the obvious effects on your shutter speed at 2.8 (this is calculated using my camera but your lens) your near and far limits will change and your total hyper focal distance will also change (this all seems obvious). Therefore, if you want the frog in focus, or more of it, you have to figure out what your DOF would be at the fstop you're shooting at.

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 1.jpg

On a side note, yummy. ;) That's a great looking lens. What camera is it on?

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I would love some C&C but i am more interested in knowing two things:
1. how to increase the DoF so that the frog would be more in focus, for example (its F3.5 but at F10 there was no noticeable difference really)

It's almost impossible to get an object as large as a frog in complete focus, particularly if the frog is larger than an inch. You *might* be able to do so if you take the picture of the frog from the side, but a head-on shot will give you a focused pair of eyes but little else.

2. How to shoot insects closer ad how to get them to a point you want? I was thinking of some sugar water or something and then with a remote control shoot when a fly is there but I wouldn't know if its in focus.

That depends on the type of insect you want to take pictures of. Bees and flies (maybe butterflies) will come if you put out sugar water or honey, but the best way to find bugs is just walk around a grassy area. If there's a particular bug you'd like to take pictures of, then you might try looking it up and seeing how you can increase your chances of finding it and getting a good shot. I'd be glad to help :)

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
thanks

Hey dllavaneras, I'd be very interested in your help. but in order not to clubber this forum, what would you prefer for communication? Also I would be really interested in knowing how long it took you to get this shot: http://skotak.deviantart.com/art/Nectar-Trumpet-73666058 and how many attempts :)? were there extension tubes involved or was it just your 100mm?

Cheers,

//F
PS: in the cold dark north where I live, getting bugs to come out takes about 6 months and then they are out for about 3 months before they disappear again so now is the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.