Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Also my first night out in Manual Mode shooting RAW under the Neutral Profile =S I just got into photography in September, so bare with me please.

It wasn't till I got home that I realized, damn. To much flash exposure compensation, especially with the low ceiling. Definitely learned my lesson there!

Most of them don't have any post processing other than, lowering brightness and increasing contrast a bit. I'm sure a handful of them would have come out better with a bit more post production.

I also tried playing around with the shutter, dragging it etc. The flash was set for 1st curtain sync, I wanted to try it with 2nd curtain sync, but not knowing the CFN # didn't help me figure that out haha.

Flickr!Questlove of The Roots DJayed that night!!

2040500995_52f3ce5eb8_b.jpg

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
All the photos pretty much look like they've had the flash pointed straight at them. My tips at the moment:

1) Get a diffuser
2) bounce, Bounce, BOUNCE the flash. :D

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
All the photos pretty much look like they've had the flash pointed straight at them. My tips at the moment:

1) Get a diffuser
2) bounce, Bounce, BOUNCE the flash. :D

I was using the omni bounce, pointing straight up or at a 45 degree, lol. The flash exposure compensation may have been a bit to much.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I was using the omni bounce, pointing straight up or at a 45 degree, lol. The flash exposure compensation may have been a bit to much.

If the ceiling is white or near-white in colour, and sufficiently low, take the omnibounce off and use the roof as your bounce source. The results will be much, much, much better for it. Truth be told, I'm not really convinced that the omnibounce will do much to improve the shots - it'll be better than direct flash, but I'm not sure it'll be sufficiently so to be worth the effort. But this is based on very limited knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.