Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
So you may or may not remember, I posted a thread about getting my new DSLR: link here

I ended up getting the sony a200 +18-70mm, Hoya HMC UV filter, 2x 8Gb Sandisk Cards, Toshiba 250Gb HDD, Seagate 500Gb HDD, Aperture 2, Lowepro camera bag, and have a Minolta 50mm f1.7 on order.

Whatever that's not important, what is important is the fact that I've just got round to uploading my first photos to my flickr account!
There's only a few.

First shots with a DSLR and would very much appreciate some helpful criticism and tips on what I'm doing wrong :D

ps. only some highlights/shadows/sharpening/etc done in aperture 2 (don't have PS or elements or GIMP at all)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
they seem alright. Exposure seems good. I think they are more like snap shots, however. i mean i dont see anything bad about these, other than they seem more of the snap shot type, per se. Got any others? Like a landscape at sunset or something?

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
well, I've had it since yesterday and I've only had the chance to go to the park. Although tonight looks like the sun will be nice. so i'll attempt to get some.

but you've given me an idea, i'll do a long exposure tonight if it's not too cloudy. thanks :)

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
do you have a tripod? that is a must have!!:)

no. I considered purchasing a tripod but though that my style of photography doesn't suit it.

I tend to take photos of my friends at parties, gigs, etc and not so much the formal type. Plus I brought it in preparation for the holiday I'm going on soon and a tripod would be slightly annoying to carry round.

Just didn't think it would be cost-effective as I would never use it. I realise there are reasonably priced ones but I would prefer to buy a decent one first time and not have to buy one later on when the first tripod breaks.

(btw had loads of photos of my hamster but didn't want to bore you with them ha :) )

Apr 10, 2007
I would just get a tripod, there are some ones that will get the job done for less than $50, I had a cheap $30 I got form frys that worked great for the year and a half I had it, but once I got my 80-200mm lens it just didn't keep it steady enough for long distance/long exposure shots, I know you said you don't want a tripod because you need to be mobile, but then you said you want to take some long exposure, and you need a tripod for long exposure shots, so im assuming a cheap tripod will be cost effective, even though you will only use it a few times.

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
London
I would just get a tripod, there are some ones that will get the job done for less than $50, I had a cheap $30 I got form frys that worked great for the year and a half I had it, but once I got my 80-200mm lens it just didn't keep it steady enough for long distance/long exposure shots, I know you said you don't want a tripod because you need to be mobile, but then you said you want to take some long exposure, and you need a tripod for long exposure shots, so im assuming a cheap tripod will be cost effective, even though you will only use it a few times.

I have a gorilla pod and that's enough to hold the camera steady for me. I put it on a 2 second timer so the shutter release doesn't shake the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.