Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Boy do I have lots to learn! So much different from a P&S.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 421

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Thanks! It looks so blurry to me though, especially fullsize(before uploaded to photobucket).

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I'd take a D40 as a Christmas present. This year I'm getting something cheap (inexpensive rather), like an education version of Leopard from the bookstore at school ($89) or something small like that. Not a lot of money in my family this year, so not a lot to get.

Good work with the D40. It should be a good camera.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks! It looks so blurry to me though, especially fullsize(before uploaded to photobucket).

I think it looks soft. I tend to believe soft and blur are slightly different. Can you post your shooting data?

Overall the picture is cute, but if you think it's soft or blurry or whatever then knowing your shooting details will certainly help people explain what happened.

jolton

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
I too have recently acquired a D40 and I find I have to often lower the temperature of the image as it's too warm.

I'm sure I just need to change some settings, but man it takes great pics doesn't it?

Jan 30, 2006
I too have recently acquired a D40 and I find I have to often lower the temperature of the image as it's too warm.

I'm sure I just need to change some settings, but man it takes great pics doesn't it?

Funny, I find my D40x to take "cold" photos when I put the white balance in auto.

What setting are you using in white balance?
Remember that in the Menu>White Balance you can select from +3 to -3.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
On autofocus/autoexposure, your camera will tend to focus on the bright lights in the field of view. With such dramatic contrast differences, you might be better served using manual settings.

That said, congratulations on your new camera. I also have a D40. Its photographs are superb.

Skyburning

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I think it looks soft. I tend to believe soft and blur are slightly different. Can you post your shooting data?

Overall the picture is cute, but if you think it's soft or blurry or whatever then knowing your shooting details will certainly help people explain what happened.

JPEG (8-bit) Normal
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Color
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 32mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1.30 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A

I hope thats what you mean. :rolleyes: I was experimenting with the different manual modes and didn't know what I was doing, haha.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
Looks like a bit of blur to me with the slow 1.3sec shutter speed. I'm surprised it came out that sharp at 1.3sec... assuming it was handheld (if so, those r some steady hands!).

In lowlight environments like this, try shooting with a larger aperture (lower f-number) and increased ISO sensitivity (higher ISO number). This will allow you to use a faster shutter speed, thus reducing blur due to camera shake.
1.30 sec - F/8

stealthninja

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
MI
hey man no fair! i was going to start a thread like this :D too bad mine didn't come until the friday after x-mas.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I bought a D40 as a personal Xmas present - to supplement the socks my wife bought me ;-) - and have been knocked out by the quality of the pics you can get out of it. I am a complete newbie to SLR's so this is one huge experiment for me and I'm loving the journey.
Here is a pic from my first day out with the camera....
picture-4.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.