Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Hey guys! Just so you know, I’ve been an avid reader of MacRumors and its forums for several years but have just signed up in order to make the question that is looming in my head.

I tried to look for a post with my question but only found opinions based on the firsts betas.

Could someone please let me know if its worth it to update my 42 mm Sport Space Grey Series 1 Apple Watch from Watch OS 4.3.2 to Watch OS 5? I fear that the hardware won’t handle very well the update and I’ll suffer decreased performance.

Thank you very much in advance!

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Hey guys! Just so you know, I’ve been an avid reader of MacRumors and its forums for several years but have just signed up in order to make the question that is looming in my head.

I tried to look for a post with my question but only found opinions based on the firsts betas.

Could someone please let me know if its worth it to update my 42 mm Sport Space Grey Series 1 Apple Watch from Watch OS 4.3.2 to Watch OS 5? I fear that the hardware won’t handle very well the update and I’ll suffer decreased performance.

Works just fine for me. Can’t comment on battery life yet since I’ve been playing with my watch settings a lot and since it’s only been a day.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
Works just fine for me. Can’t comment on battery life yet since I’ve been playing with my watch settings a lot and since it’s only been a day.
Thank you for your quick response Dormammu! Besides the fact that we can’t know for sure about battery life, I asume you haven’t had crashes and/or notable decreased performance, right? I’m scared to death to update because of previous bad experiences with iPhones.

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Thank you for your quick response Dormammu! Besides the fact that we can’t know for sure about battery life, I asume you haven’t had crashes and/or notable decreased performance, right? I’m scared to death to update because of previous bad experiences with iPhones.

I did have an issue with my calendars not syncing. A re-pair resolves that for me though. I know a couple others have had syncing issues too, though I don’t know if they got theirs resolved.

No crashes or resprings for me otherwise though.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
I did have an issue with my calendars not syncing. A re-pair resolves that for me though. I know a couple others have had syncing issues too, though I don’t know if they got theirs resolved.

No crashes or resprings for me otherwise though.
Awesome! Thanks again! I will post my experience on the thread when I update so others will know what to expect.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA

watchOS 5.0 on my series 1 works better than watchOS 4.3.2 did. Plus there are those extra features.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Series 1 is essentially the same cpu as Series 2, minus GPS and water resistance. 5 runs fine on my Series 2.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
watchOS 5.0 on my series 1 works better than watchOS 4.3.2 did. Plus there are those extra features.
Really? Thanks for the info Solver! I guess it will be the last major Watch OS upgrade before the Series 1 starts to show its age. I saw several people outraged after updating their original Apple Watch (Series 0) to Watch OS 4. Thanks again!
[doublepost=1537288313][/doublepost]
Series 1 is essentially the same cpu as Series 2, minus GPS and water resistance. 5 runs fine on my Series 2.
Awesome insight yegon! I didn’t know that. Thanks for shedding some light! I will update then.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Really? Thanks for the info Solver! I guess it will be the last major Watch OS upgrade before the Series 1 starts to show its age. I saw several people outraged after updating their original Apple Watch (Series 0) to Watch OS 4. Thanks again!
[doublepost=1537288313][/doublepost]
Awesome insight yegon! I didn’t know that. Thanks for shedding some light! I will update then.

I’d be really curious to hear reports of battery life. My Apple Watch S1 has been totally fine for quite a while, and since WatchOS 5 I can’t make it 12 hours.

moshmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
I’d be really curious to hear reports of battery life. My Apple Watch S1 has been totally fine for quite a while, and since WatchOS 5 I can’t make it 12 hours.
That’s a very good question codeman7. Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.