Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinsou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Hello, I'm a beginner photographer who's learning on his own.

I just tried pulling the action effect out on a moving object for the first time.... since you guys are the pro's let me know what you think!

flickr

This was taken with my Canon G10, and was not planned at all.. lol i just stood in front of an avenue and was lucky to get a biker coming by

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Eh, panning is a tough thing to master. The ideal is to have only the background be blurred by the motion, while your subject remains razor-sharp.

In your photo, both the subject and the background appear to be blurred.

The best way to try and improve is by first tracking your subject as it is coming along past you before taking the shot, and using either AF points or your grid to "hold" a feature on the subject to that point in your viewfinder. Once you have the subject "locked-on", and you're matching their speed with your pan, press the shutter release, while continuing to try and hold the subject in the same part of your frame.

I am no expert by any means at motion panning, I've only attempted it a handful of times, but IMO this is the kind of result you should be looking for:

panning.jpg

My own modest attempt:

Picture-12.jpg

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Been meaning to try that out with my friend as well. Obviously it's out of focus, ideally the driver/bike is in focus, and the movement blurs everything else while leaving the driver/bike crisp.

Also I'd pick some other sort of background, and also get on the same level. The cool ones you normally see are with trees in the background and on the same level as the bike, generally not the road in the background (mostly caused from being above). Plus a blurred road doesn't really do much to make the driver stand out.

So I'd say get on the same level as the bike, or even kinda down on the ground next to where he's going to be. Maybe manual focus the camera to where he's going to be instead of trying to AF that quickly.

Also, in most of those shots the driver and bike take up a majority of the frame, so you need to be closer or be zoomed in more on the subject.

I can critique all I want, but I still haven't tried it myself, and I'm sure it's much harder than it looks :p Good attempt, practice makes perfect.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Also:

Turn VR/IS off unless you've got a lens that has a vertical stability only option found on professional lenses.

Use servo AF, and turn AF on while you're "locking on", before taking the shot

Shutter priority, 1/40 to 1/100th is where you'll find gives the best results most of the time. The slower your subject is moving, the slower you need your shutter to get the desired effect, the faster they're moving, the faster you can go with your shutter.

Don't use a tripod, monopods are OK.

rost12

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
I usually select one AF point and keep it pointed at the subject you're trying to shoot. Try to be as smooth as possible with your body movement (practice!). Keep following your subject with the camera for a bit after you've taken the shot. Shutter speeds should be around 100 range, anything slower is for the pros! :)

One of my own attempts:

mosport1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.